Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
To pay the least, and avoid penalties, have just enough withheld to cover last year's taxes (108.6% if your AGI was over $150K last year). Instead of paying installments, have your employer withhold in December just enough more to cover the above. Then pay the remainder in April with your return. If you don't pay an installment you don't have to file a Form 2210.

DO NOT TRY to use Turbo Tax nor Quicken Financial to annualize. They admit in their instructions it doesn't work properly for fluctuating incomes. There's a real annualization calculator at You could make one yourself by copying all the formulas on the 2210 into a spreadsheet, but the qitc one does annualization calculations for the Schedule D, 6251, high income limitations to Schedule A, and phaseouts of credits with the TMT, capital loss limitation, etc. for you. Ed

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.