Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
To "repeat" Donna's items...

Others have already recommended that your son also retain a lawyer. Especially, if the lawyer is recommending that the IRA be distributed and placing assets in a minor's name. Your son needs his own council.

Divorce proceedings allow for an IRA to be split/transferred between a husband and wife without 'distributing' the funds which would incur taxes and penalties. It requires a court order for the IRA administrator to process the change and it is not immediate. I am not aware of the rules concerning a child.

Look into the "benefits" (tongue firmly in check) of a QUADRO. Handled properly, on the IRA acct, could save folks a "bunch of tax $'s" from a "needless" early distribution.

Usual disclaimers apply....Not tax advice, not investment advice, not legal advice, etc etc.....;o)

KBM (been there done that)
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.