No. of Recommendations: 2
To: Rayvt
I had no idea we were paying $5000 in fees. When I asked them about their fees last year I never got a straight answer.

I appreciate also your taking the time to explain to me all these abbreviations. I did Google the couch potato portfolio and saw that it performed very well. When you say ”Half VTI and half AGG, rebalance once a year.” What do you mean by rebalance? Will I have to refigure all this again next year? I am sorry to sound so dumb.

I did call Merrill Edge a couple of weeks ago saying I wanted to change my account to be more conservative, and the agent tried to sell me annuities, very forcibly. I had read a bit about them and did not like them at all, but he persisted, so I said to call me back as I had to think about it. So now I’ll know what to tell him and I greatly thank you for explaining all this to me.

I have one more question: I have been placing the MRD funds into two accounts. One with Merrill Edge which they call CMA Account that has about $6K for my husband and I, and the other is in our Credit Union savings account, for about $40K. I know that the savings account has barely any interest but I was keeping the cash to fix the house toward selling it – leak in the roof, interior and exterior painting, moving expenses, etc. Do you think I should keep that much in those 2 accounts and if not, where should I place the money? Thanks again for all your help.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.