Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
To reduce your tax refund, you will have to file a new W-4 with your employer. You can get a W-4 from your employer or from the IRS web site

If you have multiple sources of income in your household or a second job, or more in itemized deductions than your standard deduction, be sure to work out the pertinent worksheet(s) on Page 2.

Publication 919 (also on the IRS web site) goes into more detail and has more worksheets.

If all else fails, you could just increase the number of allowances you declare on your W-4, but keep in mind that filing a fraudulent W-4 could result in a $500 fine, so it is better to go through the exercise of the worksheets before deciding to arbitrarily add 1 to your allowances.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.