No. of Recommendations: 12
To the extent that wealthier people will pay the money to get a higher quality plan, you'd expect them to opt for Fee-for-Service Medicare. And that's what's happening according to this market research prepared by the insurance industry's lobbying group.

Sounds like you're very early in your understanding of how Medicare options work.

The difference between who gets MA vs standard Medicare+supplement+Part D probably has a great deal to do with where you live, not household income. All MA plans except Private Fee For Service, are offered by county, with group model HMOs tending to offer their plans in areas of dense population, while often rural locations won't even offer an MA plan.

You might want to read up on the mandatory star rating system Medicare requires of all MA plans (again, except PFFS plans)

https://www.medicareinteractive.org/get-answers/medicare-hea...

The transition to Medicare coverage has many moving parts and is often a major decision for many. A good source of information for many is their state's Senior Health Insurance Program, or SHIP (states may use a different acronym such as Senior Health Insurance Benefit Assistance or SHIBA). This is a program through each State's insurance commissioner's office, funded by Medicare grants and staffed by volunteers. It can be a great single source of information for those beginning their understanding of coverage options. As I recall, I think you once said you live in the Portland area. If so, you may want to review this...

https://healthcare.oregon.gov/shiba/get-help/Pages/who-we-ar...

We have been enrolled in the Kaiser Senior Advantage Plan Plus for 4 years now and are very satisfied with the service we've received. I have no idea what the median income is of those I see at our local Kaiser clinic when we go there, and I frankly don't care. I care that the people who greet me, schedule and process me and ultimately, those who treat me know what they are doing and are concerned about my well being.

BruceM
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.