No. of Recommendations: 0
To the extent that you have earned income from your own business, there are several plans for the self employed. Look into an SEP IRA and Keogh plans. There may be others.

Beyond that you need to develop an aggressive investment plan. I presume you are 30 something, so you still have plenty of time, but get started soon. Max whatever tax preference plans you can qualify for. Then in addition, start a taxable investment program. Read up on the basics starting with Fool School from the homepage. An S&P Index fund at a major mutual fund company like Vanguard is a good place to begin. This can work either as an IRA or a taxable investment. You can have both kinds of accounts.

As you learn more, you will probably want to do stocks. Fooldom has several stock portfolios. The basic one is Foolish Four. But a long term buy and hold strategy with a Rule Maker stock is about the best you can do in terms of low tax implications and low costs.

Best of luck to you. You seem to be asking the right questions.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.