Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
To those experts out there, could she file as an "injured spouse?"

If you go back through the whole thread you'll find that as one of the alternatives presented in the OP. What I've gleaned from the discussion is that in Texas this won't work, probably because of some agreement between the Feds and the state. If something shows up that has his name associated with it the state will grab it. Perhaps JAFO can shed some light?

MFS isn't going to fully protect "her" money either because of the community property rules. Half of each spouse's earnings and withholding goes on each spouse's return. The best they can do is have her take the child's exemption, thus isolating the child tax credit on her return.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.