Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Printed below is a message I received on the message board to my inquiry.What about those of us who live in isolated areas and have no access to a library that subscribes to "Value Line"? When I first started this
investment method I was assured by the people at fool.com that the screen would be published every weekend and that I could depend on it. I also
enriched fool.com's coffers by purchasing the overpriced magazine by Mr. Sheard and was again assured in correspondence I got back that I would be
able to get all of the information I needed on fool.com. As far as a survey
goes, I know of no survey nor was I asked to participate in one. It looks like I ended up the
biggest fool for believing what the fool told me.

It was planned. Elan conducted a survey asking which screens should be "officially" followed by the Foolish Workshop in 2000. IFG didn't make the cut.

-bdfinney
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4
<<When I first started this
investment method I was assured by the people at fool.com that the screen would be published every weekend and that I could depend on it.>>
You made a mistake in assuming you could depend on other people to make you rich. Foolish error.

The first thing I do with any screen is to make sure that I can run the screens myself---and verify that what I get matches the lists reported here.

If you don't have access to a library with the VL disk, you can always buy your own subscription.

<< I also
enriched fool.com's coffers by purchasing the overpriced magazine by Mr. Sheard and was again assured in correspondence I got back that I would be
able to get all of the information I needed on fool.com. >>

Such as what??
The list of next year's most profitable stocks?
I did not assume that anyone would "make me rich." I assumed that people would uphold their word and commitment to follow through with what they said they would do.
No. of Recommendations: 3
One of the great things about this Board is that people are always working to find better screens. It seems to me that IFG was a good screen maybe 2 or 3 years ago, but better screens have been found with less volatility. If it weren't for the developments on this Board, most of us would still be in UG5.

What I would recommend is that instead of complaining that IFG isn't posted anymore, that you review some of the RS, PEG, Spark or Keystone screens on which almost every post discusses and move into a new screen.

I have a hunch if you do this, next year at this time you'll be very happy you did.

BocaFerris
No. of Recommendations: 3
jmgr wrote:
When I first started this investment method I was assured by the people at fool.com that the screen would be published every weekend and that I could depend on it. I also enriched fool.com's coffers by purchasing the overpriced magazine by Mr. Sheard and was again assured in correspondence I got back that I would be
able to get all of the information I needed on fool.com.

Just checked your profile; looks like you were away for a long time.

Robert Sheard is no longer with TMF. He moved on to greener pastures (his own investment advisory firm) awhile back.

If it is that important to you to follow IFG, you can get the "trial subscription" from VL for about $55. If you still wish to continue IFG classic you can then purchase the full subscription to VL.

If you've been doing IFG annually, then you won't have to shell out the $500 or so for awhile. If you've been doing it quarterly, I assume you've stopped by TMF sometime since your last posts in March.

As far as a survey goes, I know of no survey nor was I asked to participate in one.

It was posted on the boards and TMFElan wrote an article with the results of the survey. The article is here:
http://www.fool.com/workshop/1999/workshop991111.htm

It looks like I ended up the biggest fool for believing what the fool told me.

And before you get too upset, read the current workshop article. From there you will learn that JackCade publishes the rankings for many screens, including those not listed in the Workshop. Here's a link to his most recent screen rankings:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1030013009602000

This includes the IFG classic and IFG Relative Strength screens.

However, you should be aware that nothing is forever. AFAIK, JackCade plans to keep posting the ranks for the IFG screens, but there's no guarantees that anyone will still post screen rankings in the future. You should be sure that you know how to do the calculations yourself for any screen that you follow, and be prepared to purchase or otherwise check any other resources you might need.

Hope this is helpful,

-synchronicity
No. of Recommendations: 0
>> I did not assume that anyone would "make me rich." I assumed that people would uphold their word and commitment to follow through with what they said they would do.
------------

Posting to TMF Elan may not accomplish much - I doubt that remote staffers on the editorial side have much influence on the Motley Fool corporate operations.

If you genuinely believe that you were promised something and did not receive it, and you have some evidence of the promise, you may wish to pursue legal recourse. You may also choose to file complaints with the Better Business Bureau or with the consumer-protection office of the Attorney General of your state. If any part of the transaction took place through the U.S. mail you may also file a complaint with the Postal Inspector. If you paid by credit card, you may file a notice of billing error with the card issuer.
One of the great things about this Board is that people are always working to find better screens. It seems to me
that IFG was a good screen maybe 2 or 3 years ago, but better screens have been found with less volatility. If it
weren't for the developments on this Board, most of us would still be in UG5.

What I would recommend is that instead of complaining that IFG isn't posted anymore, that you review some of
the RS, PEG, Spark or Keystone screens on which almost every post discusses and move into a new screen.

I have a hunch if you do this, next year at this time you'll be very happy you did.

BocaFerris
-------------------------------------------------------

Hear! Hear! Boca!!!

Last year's RS and PEG returns should smooth over much angst in general!!!

Slug (fairly angst-free and now a pro in italicizing!)
I did not assume that anyone would "make me rich." I assumed that people would uphold their word and commitment to follow
through with what they said they would do.

I've responded by email to your earlier message as follows:
"I don't recall saying that we would still follow IFG Classic. On the
contrary, we've decided that we will not continue following it and
announced so a while ago. You may want to re-read this article -
http://www.fool.com/workshop/1999/workshop991111.htm
particularly the following paragraph -
"The full list of screens is shown below, ranked from highest to lowest
vote count. Most of the incumbent screens in our Current Rankings were
voted in for another year. Four of the current screens received less
than 100 points and will be removed."

It's your choice, of course, whether to continue visiting the Fool site,
but I think our community has developed a wide choice of better screens
in the last year."

As for Robert Sheard's magazine - I'm not sure what you are refering to. Robert Sheard left TMF over a year ago.

Elan
And before you get too upset, read the current workshop article. From there you will learn that JackCade publishes the rankings
for many screens, including those not listed in the Workshop. Here's a link to his most recent screen rankings:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1030013009602000

This includes the IFG classic and IFG Relative Strength screens.

Wow, I didn't realize that Jack Cade does the IFG Classic. I don't think he did until recently. That screen is such a bear to run, he must be a glutton for punishment. ;-)

Elan
I did not assume that anyone would "make me rich." I assumed that people would uphold their word and commitment to follow
through with what they said they would do.

First, you assumed that you could depend on other people to make you rich. DUMB! DUMB! DUMB! I suppose someone out there will go to BDFinney's website to find out that he didn't update the screens for the first time and then blame him for screwing up their investment strategy.

Second, the TMF would never commit to doing something that they know could someday but them in a legal bind and I am sure especially Elan never would.

Third, IFG is an old not so great screen IMO, however, it wouldn't suprise me if it isn't one of Jack Cade's 62 screens he publishes every weekend. If it isn't there and I haven't checked (but I'd bet it is there) then it is as dead as a screen can get.

Fourth if you can't afford VL yourself then you should just stick to the better alternatives.

Moe
If you genuinely believe that you were promised something and did not receive it, and you have some evidence of the promise,
you may wish to pursue legal recourse. You may also choose to file complaints with the Better Business Bureau or with the
consumer-protection office of the Attorney General of your state. If any part of the transaction took place through the U.S. mail
you may also file a complaint with the Postal Inspector. If you paid by credit card, you may file a notice of billing error with the
card issuer.

I sure hope this was tongue in cheek.

The so called promise is the first paragraph of the screen explanations page -
http://www.fool.com/Workshop/WorkshopScreenExplanations.htm
in which TMF explained which screen would be kept and which dropped for 1999. I don't think a reasonable person would take "The
one model we followed in 1998 that we won't be following in 1999 is Investing For
Growth - Relative Strength. We'll continue to follow the Classic." as a commitment for eternity.

Elan
No. of Recommendations: 85
If you genuinely believe that you were promised something and did not receive it, and you have some evidence of the promise,
you may wish to pursue legal recourse. You may also choose to file complaints with the Better Business Bureau or with the
consumer-protection office of the Attorney General of your state. If any part of the transaction took place through the U.S. mail
you may also file a complaint with the Postal Inspector. If you paid by credit card, you may file a notice of billing error with the
card issuer.

You know some people here are incredible. The Workshop area and the whole Motley Fool Board which you use for free and which works because of the great work of many people such as the ones mentioned on the current article and the ones who helped Peter Kuperman and Sux.

Unfortunately there is a second group of people here who are the opposite of the rest they take and take and take. Now there is nothing in my opinion with doing that but then nothing is good enough. They want more and more and more.

That somebody would be a little hearbroken, upset and maybe even write something they later regret because their favorite screen isn't being covered is one thing. But to go on and on about it and then to have others suggest under any pretense that the BBB should be involved most be people who didn't get to give out enough Bah Humbug! this holiday season.

Nobody has done more for this board the TMFELAN and if you think he does this for money your nuts! First off he was helping people on these boards long before the money came from TMF and second off believe he isn't getting big bucks for this, certainly not enough to get his integrity attacked and to have others suggest that actions that could involve lawyers, etc be taken.

Now as you know on MI issues, I love going head to head on Elan as much as anybody but lets get off this childlish selfish type of behavior.

I pity those who instead of being happy for what this board gives them instead complains that they ain't getting enough for the big bucks they pay to use this place.

Moe

No. of Recommendations: 10
>> Unfortunately there is a second group of people here who are the opposite of the rest they take and take and take. Now there is nothing in my opinion with doing that but then nothing is good enough. They want more and more and more.

--------

Moe, you seem to have an issue with me, so I will also send this by e-mail so that you will know my name and how to communicate with me privately.

First: if you think that I have a gripe about anything on this board, in the workshop columns, or anywhere else on the Fool site, please state the URL of the message. You seem to have overlooked the fact that I was responding to a message to which I objected. I was not the one who complained. If you think that I was, prove it.

Second: I rarely post on this board because I am unable to contribute much to the discussion. Does that mean that I should refrain from making any use of what I read here? If I use some of the screens that are discussed here, is there something wrong with that?

Does that mean that I "just take and take and take"? I really want to know if there is any objection -- from anyone who posts here -- to the reading of messages by those of us who have come to believe in mechanical investing but aren't able to advance it ourselves.

Third: I can't see anything in the original complaint that warrants going to any of the authorities that I listed. I think that anyone who did it would be laughed at.

But I'm a remote staff member of another online venue (one that has nothing to do with investing), and I've seen how someone with a grudge tends to pollute a board by posting about it day after day. The fastest way to stop that kind of thing is to direct the person to official channels: if there is any substance to the complaint he or she may get satisfaction, and if not, be persuaded that the gripe is illegitimate.

I'm sorry that the sarcasm was lost on you, and I apologize to Elan. I didn't mean to malign him or his work in any way, and if I did, I regret it.
Patrick,

Are you really a rattle snake breeder??

Thanks to everyone for a great year. I hope the gods smile on us for another.

Sincerely,

Keith O'Malley
No. of Recommendations: 5
You know some people here are incredible. The Workshop area and the whole Motley Fool Board which you use for free and which works because of the great work of many people such as the ones mentioned on the current article and the ones who helped Peter Kuperman and Sux.

I've been hanging around this and the MI board for 6 mo. or so now. The ideas that are shared freely by those in the group are amazing. I've been thinking that it might be of interest for me to describe how my attitudes and interpretation of the goings-on here have changed as I've gotten to understand the workings of this community better.

Unfortunately there is a second group of people here who are the opposite of the rest they take and take and take.

I'll admit to being one of those. I tend to just lurk here because there are so many whose contributions are much more valuable than mine. And I don't think there's anything wrong with staying on the "taking" side of things until I've figured out for myself that this stuff actually works. (Which I have, hence the changed attitudes over the last few months.)

Now there is nothing in my opinion with doing that but then nothing is good enough. They want more and more and more.

That somebody would be a little hearbroken, upset and maybe even write something they later regret because their favorite screen isn't being covered is one thing. But to go on and on about it and then to have others suggest under any pretense that the BBB should be involved most be people who didn't get to give out enough Bah Humbug! this holiday season.

Forgive me for a posting a "me too". It was me who made the decision to experiment with MI, and I would have no one to blame but myself if the experiment had turned out badly. And if the Fool website blew up tomorrow, then it would be my own responsibility to figure out what to do next. I just don't understand those people who want someone else to lead them through every minute of their lives.

I'm extremely grateful for all the info posted on this board. I certainly don't take it for granted that it will always be available, and always free, or that it will always be profitable, and I don't think anyone else should either. It's been said many times that there are only 2 sure things in life... I don't think anybody ever said that "free advice guaranteed to make you rich" was one of them.

Sorry for the rant. This topic just hit a nerve for some reason.

--Donna
Moe, you seem to have an issue with me, so I will also send this by e-mail so that you will know my name and how to communicate with me privately.

I have no idea why you would think I have a personal issue with you. I had as I stated an issue with your remarks but I think that was pretty clear.

Also as an employee of an on-line service you should know that when a message is posted on a board it becomes a general message not a personal message.

Thus your remarks were ample to me to make general comments about a whole thread based on greed.

Secondly as an employee of an on-line service I would guess that when you made your remarks you forgot that those remarks could be taken seriously no matter your intent and that you may have given a person an idea that could cause lots of grief and frustration to Elan.

For example when I sold my house. The people who bought it on total nonsense filed a fairly frivlolous complaint against my Real Estate broker. Despite the fact it was frivolous my broker had to spend a lot of time defending the aligation to the Real Estate board as well as go through a lot of stress. Of course he prevailed but it was still a cost.

Your sarcasm wasn't lost on me but I hope you learn to use it more prudently in the future.

Moe
PS As a 3*** person it should be clear that you don't personally fit into the category as a taker and that those general comments weren't personal about you. I'm also sorry that you missed my thought process and will continue to contribute to this board in a positive manner.

To paraphrase the old playground adage: Maybe you should pick up your bat and go to your nearest full service broker. I sure that you'll be much happier with the results of their promises and advice. If it doesn't work out as planned, feel free to complain. After all, they're payed to listen.

Oops I forgot, you didn't bring a bat to the game.
Printed below is a message I received on the message board to my inquiry.What about those of us who live in isolated areas and have no access to a library that subscribes to "Value Line"?
When I first started this investment method I was assured by the people at fool.com that the screen would be published every weekend and that I could depend on it. I also enriched fool.com's coffers by purchasing the overpriced magazine by Mr. Sheard and was again assured in correspondence I got back that I would be able to get all of the information I needed on fool.com. As far as a survey goes, I know of no survey nor was I asked to participate in one. It looks like I ended up the biggest fool for believing what the fool told me.

Two options -

1. Change screens. IFG is not being followed because we have found better ones. Consider PEG, Keystone, or Spark, for example.

2. Follow JackCade's posts on the MI board.

FF

<e-mailed and posted>
Now as you know on MI issues, I love going head to head on Elan as much as anybody but lets get off this childlish selfish type of behavior.

I pity those who instead of being happy for what this board gives them instead complains that they ain't getting enough for the big bucks they pay to use this place.

Moe

Darn Moe,

easy big fella. Heck, all I want to know is where to get the condensed version of the list Ray mentioned.

Such as what??
The list of next year's most profitable stocks?

Great post, Elan definitely is 'Da Man,

Best,

Mick (who is continuously soaking in all from the multiple guru's on this and the MI boards)