Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 13
To which I'd add:
6) The Bush-Chaney adventure in Iraq will be ending soon (no matter who wins the election) and the GI's will be coming home, have GI bills in their pockets and need mortgages and homes.

I don't see this as a valid point.

1. The GI Bill is for education and has nothing to do with banks. Under the current legislation, the GI Bill will have no interaction with banks, and will provide education benefits, not housing benefits. You are probably thinking VA loans, which every servicemember has available to them. These no down payment loans are a great deal, and are not dependant upon returning from deployment.

2. There will be no surge of troops returning home from Iraq. These troops have consitantly rotated in and out of the middle eastern theater of operation over the past several years, giving them the opportunity to use their VA benefits during the regrettably infrequent time in which they are stateside.

3. Additionally, after any troop drawdawn occurs in Iraq, we will be facing an increased troop pressence in Afghanistan, where we should have been all along. This is not something that is making national news, and Mary Kate and Ashley (sp) mourning over Heath Ledger and the John Edwards affair take precedence. Expect to see more Soldiers sent to the mountains of Afghanistan as fighting and conditions there worsen tthe longer we neglect them.

4. Lastly, troops are unfortunately as a whole (much like much of the American people) are not financially wise. These benefits that are available to all of us who serve are taken advantage of by a small minority. We all get classes on how not to bounce checks at the PX, but not how to save for retirement. The military is a sheltering experience in many ways, and Soldiers who come back from deployment will buy big screen TVs and new cars instead of maxing out their IRA contributions for the year. While this will help the consumer economies around military bases (you see classic boom/bust cycles as units deploy and return) it will not have an overall effect on the financial sector as a whole.

My .02 after nearly a decade in the Army.

All the best,

Carl (I'm still in Iraq) Barfuss
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.