Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 5
I attended my first TM meeting this morning at the ungodly hour of 7:30 am. I found out why they hold it then, the majority of the members are employees of the credit union where the meetings are held.

The folks seemed friendly enough. I found out that there are 20 paid members, but a usual meeting only has about 7 people. They are either retired, college students, or employees of the CU.

I think I'm going to join. It'll make me expand my limits. Normally, I am a quiet, introverted kinda guy. I know that I'll feel uncomfortable at times, but what the heck? I doubt if I'll die in the process.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
OK i'll bite, what the hell are Toastmasters?
No. of Recommendations: 1
what the hell are Toastmasters?

http://www.toastmasters.org/
Ahhhh, personal growth, that is sooo not me.
I read that as "Toadmasters" (don't ask me why) and was really confused... until I looked again.

Actually, Toadmasters sounds like an awesome idea! We could make our own gigging forks and share war stories from the front lines of the frogleg battles.
"OK i'll bite, what the hell are Toastmasters?" - 2828

Did you take Speech in college? Like that, only there's no grade and no tuition. Maybe dues? I don't know.

It's a place to go practice your speaking skills.

Art
let me know how it goes, I'd like to do that as well, but that early time would kill me.

i'll look into what's available locally.

A long time ago, near 'bout the time Daddy was diagnosed with brain cancer I did something like Toastmasters, forgot the name of it, I dropped out of the last few sessions because of Daddy's illness. I sent some of the employee's to it as well....it wasn't Toastmasters and right now, my mind is addled by a 330 am Benadryl tablet. Ack and ugh and woe is me!

Kudos to you for trying something new!
I think I'm going to join. It'll make me expand my limits. Normally, I am a quiet, introverted kinda guy. I know that I'll feel uncomfortable at times, but what the heck? I doubt if I'll die in the process.

I did Toastmasters many moons ago.

It is a good thing IMO. I was kind of like the CU folks it was in my company's conference room, and they covered the tuition, but as I remember it was not much.

It won't kill you, the other folks are usually supportive, but it will largely be a function of how good your facilitator is regarding how much you get out of it.

Getting supportive feedback from a diverse group you do not really know regarding how you present yourself is a good thing IMO

Good luck!
what the hell are Toastmasters?

They are people who have mastered the art of dropping buttered toast and having it land butter side up.

--fleg
No. of Recommendations: 4
Ahhhh, personal growth, that is sooo not me.

Grow? Who could grow more than you? Talk about massive potential for growth. You are the little acorn that becomes the oak.
Congrats wolf. Always keep challenging yourself. I was shy when I was young but in high school I joined academic decathlon. 10 subjects to study, 2 of which were speech and interview. Speech consisted of a prepared one and an impromptu speech. Improptu was always very difficult since you were given a random topic, given one minute to prep, then give a 3-5 minute speech. We met before school and practiced every morning. It really made me much more verbally fluent, more confident, and quicker on my feet. I actually medaled - first place - in regional competition in the interview category, which shocked me at the time. And since then in college and in the workplace, I've always been told that I interview very well and give very good presentations. Always been told I got a very easy going natural speaking style and delivery. And I really attribute to all those mornings practicing in my junior and senior years in high school. Toastmaster would be great in that way.
AOL, you had a great opportunity in your High School. The private school I went to only offered scholastics, none of this fluff that actually help a young girl or boy in life.

Could have helped me a whole lot, I was the wallflower who just wanted to hide. Ugh!

I remember when we talked on the phone you had a nice voice...that seems ages ago, perhaps it's time for a reminder. :)

LD
Did you take Speech in college? Like that, only there's no grade and no tuition. Maybe dues? I don't know.

It's a place to go practice your speaking skills.

Art

In elementary school in Cleveland, starting from about the third grade on, we had to give what were called "Morning Talks". Each day a different student would stand in front of the class and give a 5 to 10 minute talk on a topic of his/her choosing (approved by the teacher beforehand, IIRC). The topic had to be researched in advance, and the only notes we were allowed to use were in outline form on 3 x 5 index cards. We also had to include at least a couple "visual aids". After the talk, there was a brief Q & A session where those in the audience could ask questions and the speaker did his best to answer them.

And then there were book reports.

Since then, I don't recall that I ever engaged in any activities showcasing my "speaking skills".
"Since then, I don't recall that I ever engaged in any activities showcasing my "speaking skills". - Andrew

I had to take speech my freshman year in college Speech 108. I made a C. I'm not a very good speaker, and perhaps that may be one of the reasons I was such a dismal failure as a teacher. I think I jump around and have a difficult time staying on topic. I know I have the attention span of a gnat.

Now what's on TV tonight? Oh yeah, Hell on Wheels, Boardwalk Empire, Treme, Dexter, and Homeland. Thank God for On Demand!

I need to make me a big salad before my TV shows start. By the way my early retirement plan so far has been a raging success! April 16, 2001 -> October 6, 2012. So far so good! I seem to be real good at that.

Artie
Now what's on TV tonight? Oh yeah, Hell on Wheels, Boardwalk Empire, Treme, Dexter, and Homeland. Thank God for On Demand!

I need to make me a big salad before my TV shows start.

The Steel Magnolias remake (all African-American cast) starts on Lifetime in about 20 minutes! No way am I going to miss that. I want to see how I like it compared to the original. From what I could see in the previews, the writers pretty much stuck to the same lines, but they threw at least a little new material in there.

Queen Latifah plays the M'Lynn character (previously played by Sally Field). Jill Scott plays Dolly Parton's character Truvy, Phylicia Rashad (from The Cosby Show) plays Olympia Dukakis' character Clairee (I think)... the others are played by actresses I've never heard of.