Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Today I just signed a contract for a new Toyota Celica GT based on the results of my faxathon. I sent out eight bid requests and got five replies. The bid I took was a full $1,100 under the whole rest of the field, a few hundred below the "Foolish Value Price" that the Fool's little tutorial says you're dreaming if you get.

They basically sold me the car at invoice (I believe this was because today was the last day of the June sales month and they were near a break point and because the car is just arriving at the dealership next week and they get to pocket the 2% holdback without having to hold the car in inventory and pay any finance charges, the purpose that the manufacturer provides the holdback.)

For a popular car in what is apparently the most popular color, I was extremely pleased with the deal I got as a result of the faxathon method (although it was a reasonable amount of work). The faxathon also enabled me to track down a car with nearly exactly the list of features I wanted, a car that sat on the lot of just one of the bidding dealers.

It is kind of a funny feeling to have bought a new car without ever having met the salesperson or stepped foot on that dealership's lot.

But it worked for me.

--Newsman
Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.