Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

Okay so after bearing the humility of being in the "< 20" club, my CAPS Rating jumped almost 50 points today. While on the whole everything seemed to click today (the longs went up and the shorts dove) there were some particularly interesting movements.

The really interesting mover was Nucor (NUE). After doing nothing in November, despite an exceptional earnings report, Nucor finally started to climb. I have no idea what was behind the rally today but I intend to try to dig around and figure it out.

At any rate, I intended to use this blog to explain the thinking behind my picks (if and when any thinking was involved) so on to the next explanation: Talisman Energy (TLM).

While Talisman is a global company they have and excellent "double play" in the Canadian Oilsands, which is what initially turned me on to them in the first place. The "double play" is that Talisman is one of Canada's top producers of good old oil and natural gas. Now I'm not going to pretend to understand the global oil market, in fact I can barely change the oil in my car, but Canadian oil has been generating a lot of buzz lately for good reason. A safe, close source of oil for Uncle Sam and his Suburban. The thing is that to get oil out of the Oilsands you need to burn a heck of a lot of two things: water and natural gas. Hence the double play for Talisman.

I still like Talisman and I will be holding it in CAPS for a while. I think they will be a slow and steady performer over the next five years or so, but hey with oil markets today who the heck knows.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.