Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 7
29 y.o. Omar Mateen slaughtered 49 and wounded 53 at the LGBT Pulse Nightclub in Orlando. He was shot dead by OPD officers after a 3-hour standoff. President Biden will declare the site a monument in the victims’ memory, a very touching and appropriate gesture.

Only a scant year later, 64 y.o. Stephen Paddock murdered 58 and wounded 867 with his hi-powered automatic and semi-automatic stash from high above a music festival in Vegas. He took his own life after eclipsing Mateen’s “record.”

These are the #1 and #2 mass shootings in our history. Both involved deadly assault rifles. So what has the country learned from all the ongoing gun mayhem? Well, I see a CA judge has lifted their ban on assault weapons. Right there is an example of what we’ve learned: not one damn thing. (Oh, and is that latest shooter in Austin still running around?)
Print the post Back To Top
So what has the country learned from all the ongoing gun mayhem?

As I mentioned earlier, a now 18 year old High School Senior, and a survivor of a mass shooting at her school, figured it out.

Paraphrasing, she said, politicians know what to do to stop mass shootings. They choose not to do it.

The solution is not difficult. But choosing to do what needs to be done is, apparently, too difficult for too many.

If you want to stop mass shootings, we need to choose politicians who will do what needs to be done.

--Peter
No. of Recommendations: 4
Has a semi automatic weapon EVER been used to stop a “bad guy with a gun” or is it 100% the other way.

Because all the gun nuts say we need these for defense or to overthrow a facist president.

Then we had one and they did nothing.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Well, I see a CA judge has lifted their ban on assault weapons.

A ridiculous decision. That judge is truly an idiot. I expect his ruling to be overturned.
No. of Recommendations: 0
I expect his ruling to be overturned.

It is being appealed. And the judge's ruling has been stayed pending the appeal.

So assault rifles are still illegal in CA. For now.

--Peter
President Biden

Speaker Belosi

Leader Schumer

Bevy of Democratic Governors.

Hopefully they change things.
What is an assault rifle? Until you can agree on the answer to that question you're not going to solve anything.
No. of Recommendations: 14
What is an assault rifle? Until you can agree on the answer to that question you're not going to solve anything.

This is the third dumbest thing gun nuts say to avoid doing the right thing. Gun manufacturers completely spec the guns they make, so it is not difficult to define "assault rifle" legally. It can be done in terms of how many rounds can be fired, clip capacity, and/or any other gun specification that is advertised by the manufacturer. This can easily be accomplished with reasonable people negotiating on spec limits so that a ban has minimal impact for applications outside of performing mass killings. It is actually no different than regulating drones or radio band useage, or any other technology that governments regulate.

The second dumbest thing gun nuts say to avoid doing the right thing is, "If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns." It's true, but it is true of anything you want to put in that sentence since it is an example of a tautology. For example, you could just as easily say, "If toilets are outlawed, only outlaws will have toilets." It will always be true but never be meaningful.

Of course the absolute dumbest thing gun nuts say to avoid doing the right thing is, "Guns don't kill people. People kill people." Okay. So you are denying the cause of mass shootings as guns, then turning around and saying you want to arm the cause of those mass shootings (people) with the most sophisticated arsenal you can give them.

Gun nuts just won't admit that they would rather see thousands of innocent school children and random citizens gunned down each year than to give up their precious toys. So instead of embracing gun regulation for safety reasons, they make up stupid sayings and argue about detailed specifications of what an assault rifle is. We need to say to these people, "Just shut up and do the right thing already."
Grumpy - I know what you mean, and I agree with you.

*BUT*

As I've predicted for years - culture has declined and it's led to so many fun things vis a vis debts, deficits, misery, mental medications, dysfunction, tribalism, lack of critical thinking skills, holding back social, environmental progress.

And I could care less - other than be happy.

BUT - because of culture, Americans are too nutty to be trusted with guns. These people have less and less a clue about humanity. Their dysfunction has led them to be unstable. Their high tech gadgets has robbed them of reasoning skills and the digital world - has devalued humanity to them.

So they know to point and shoot.

The know anger.

Again - I cheer the other results of culture decay but this one - -I don't wanna be in the line of fire for.

So I hate that la3w abiding people will lose gun rights. I hate that people who want an authoritarian government will prevail with an lesser armed society - they want that badly.

But - I don't feel Americans deserve and can be trusted with the right to bear arms.

Liberty - is for citizens. And citizens are responsible.

Americans - more and more don;'t qualify.

Get their guns.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Don't need to get everyone to agree. Just pass a law that says an assault rifle meets the following criteria: X, Y, Z.

Don't even actually need to call it an assault rifle. Just say that any weapon that meets that criteria is banned.

Naturally, those who favor total bans on squirt guns will not be happy, nor will those who think everyone should have a legal right to own a SAM.

But, we should try to pay attention to the sane people every once in awhile.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Bonroy1924, I can't say that I disagree with you on the 'too dumb to own a gun' theory. No sane person can like the gun violence taking place in the US.

BUT

I like the idea of private gun ownership. I'm a little bit of a doomsdayer and home defense is important to me.
What is an assault rifle?

I’d suggest that the 400 rounds per minute of an AR-15 qualifies.

The state of California has agreed for the last 30 years or so.

—Peter
What is an assault rifle?

I’m sure that dumping a full 30 round magazine in 5 seconds comes in handy when you’re hunting deer.

—Peter
Does anyone need “400 rounds per minute “ to defend their home?

If so I think a psychiatric ward is in need of a delusional occupant.