Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

We continue our discussion of reporting income for the sole
proprietorship/self employment income on Schedule C or Schedule C-EZ.
Report the income from your business in Part I of Schedule C and the
expenses in Part II. If you make or buy goods to sell, use Part III to
figure the cost of goods sold. The difference between total income and
total expenses is your net profit or loss, which will be taken from
Schedule C and entered on line 12 of your Form 1040.

If you use part of your home in your business, you should complete
Form 8829. For more information see IRS Publication 587, Business Use
of Your Home, Including Use by Day-Care Providers.

If the total of your net profit from all businesses is $400 or more,
you must compute your self-employment tax on Schedule SE Form 1040.
For more information, see IRS Publication 533, Self-Employment Tax.

The forms and publications are available at the IRS Web site:
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.