Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Emergency Contraceptive.

(And no, I don't need any, thanks for asking. I'm a planner by nature.)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12691418/

“Women of reproductive age should get an advance prescription for emergency contraception to keep in case they ever need it, the nation's largest gynecologist group advised Monday.”

I don't think this will help any in the debate.

1) There's the obvious “if you can plan well enough in advance to have a prescription laying around, simply go to the store beforehand and BUY SOME CONDOMS” aspect of it

2) If I were a doctor, I would hesitate to give a prescription out to a woman whose general health could change and affect whether or not I would recommend that prescription for her.

3) If I were a doctor, I would be scared poo-less that the prescription would be filled and used on another person.

4) If I were a doctor or pharmacist, I would be concerned that, if it were filled many months prior to use, instructions would be forgotten or not followed precisely, leading to unintended side effects.

I understand the underlying premise – that it is a very time-sensitive prescription, and many women would be riding on the edge of it's efficacy if they waited until Monday to see their regular doctor for it. A better approach, IMHO, would be to have one of the on-call docs willing to call the script in to a pharmacy during the weekend, with a follow-up visit that Monday.

(And of course, this is excluding issues of rape/incest/etc. where emergency contraceptive is desperately needed, fast, whether or not it comes from the primary GYN.)

Discuss.

impolite

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.