Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 11
Tom C.,

Nice analysis, but I'm not sure that I agree with your characterization of our dollar-cost average strategy. We're not buying simply because “the price is way below where it was several months ago.” Your experience with Metro Media Fiber is a good example of why a drop in stock price is a good time for “reflection” regarding your investment strategy. I had a similar experience with LVLT.

Let's reflect on NLY, though. Have there been any fundamental changes to NLY's long-term business model? If you conclude no and you're a long-term investor that liked the stock at $19 or 20, then you should love the stock at $15.50.

I would not describe that reasoning as “hollow.” If you can buy in at an even lower price in the future, I congratulate you. For me personally, however, trying to time the market is not good for my blood pressure.

As far as management, I agree that it shouldn't be the only reason to buy. But it definitely should be among the first considerations.

I am invested in NLY because a company with a current yield of 7+% and a sustainable business model has an excellent chance of outperforming the S&P over the mid-to-long term. You can find a number of investments in the REIT / BDC arena that fit the profile. Transparency by management mitigates the risk, though.

I agree with you that the mortgage REIT business is a “conservative, easy to understand business.” However, the business is inherently leveraged and the accounting is complex. The biggest risk to a consistent 7 – 10+% yield is some event that causes a liquidity crisis. I will pay a premium for a company like NLY that focuses on the creditworthiness of its portfolio, does not use derivatives and cuts the dividend when the short-term business outlook deteriorates.

A normal reaction to NLY cutting the dividend should be disappointment over the lost yield. For me, though, it's a sigh of relief. It tells me that management will take the necessary steps to weather any storm and my long-term return will be the “normalized” return. If the housing market implodes, I have less confidence that the mortgage REITS with less transparent management will survive to deliver those 9+% yields.

Nice post, though. Let us know when we're at a good entry point.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.