Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
Tom Gardner said:

2. I don't think the 11 percent annual return is law, but it is statistically significant. If corporate earnings were to grow consistently at 6 percent per annum into eternity, I could see the market growing at 11 percent per annum into eternity. Why? Because the investing community discounts into future years.

I cannot believe no one has challenged this statement. Take a stock trading at $100 earning $5/share in 2000. By 2021 this stock's price, growing at 11%/yr, has reached $806.23, while its earnings have reached $16.03. This makes sense? What would be the logical explanation for an expansion of the multiple from 20 to 50?

Tom, in the very article you were reviewing, Buffett said that equity values growth cannot in the long term exceed earnings growth . . . did you miss that? Or do you just disagree? If so, on what basis?

UsuallyReasonable
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.