Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Tom,

Thanks for being patient with me. I should have given an example to illustrate the specifics of my question.

In CRM software, the product being marketed to the small- and mid-tier customer is so different from the product being marketed to the top-tier companies that they are really two different product categories even though they are both CRM software.

Additionally, the nature of the product and the needs of the customers are so different that they are marketed differently. The top-tier companies require a direct sales approach and/or use of a systems integrator. The small- and mid-tier companies require only a telemarketing approach and an Internet site to make a purchase decision.

The combination of product differences and customer needs are so different that in the case of CRM, there were two tornados -- one for the top-tier customers and one for the small- and mid-tier customers.

I assume that because an appserver is an enabling product, the situation exemplified by CRM software wouldn't occur in appservers; there would probably be only one product category that would meet the needs of all customers. Am I right about that?

--Mike Buckley
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.