Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Tom,

Thanks for your reply, including the following:

"I think a little more 'love of company' and a little less 'lust of stock' might make us all better investors. So perhaps I'd change the title to, 'Companies We Love.'"

Thanks for being willing to reconsider the focus of the feature "Stocks We Adore," but my point wasn't focused so much on "Stocks" vs. "Companies" as it was on "Love" vs. "Invest-in-but-continue-to-evaluate." Falling "in love" with a "company," as much as falling in love with its "stock," can, IMHO, blind us to the company's -- or the stock's -- flaws. By allowing ourselves to "love" a company, we MAY be too willing to overlook its flaws, too vulnerable to feeling an ill-advised sense of loyalty to it when in fact selling the stock might be the prudent thing to do. One wouldn't sell a "loved" or "adored" friend or family member, but one should be open to selling a stock if its fundamentals deteriorate. I realize that the Rule Maker Portfolio IS willing to sell a stock, as it did with the Gap, Inc., but the love factor may have caused the portfolio managers, in this example, to hold onto the Gap longer than was prudent.

I guess my concern comes down to this: Saying (or thinking) that one "loves" or "adores" a stock or a company leaves one vulnerable to having "feelings" interfere with analysis of a company's fundamentals as a potential or ongoing investment.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.