No. of Recommendations: 0
....Tom what are your thoughts on making a profit in face of war...mrbear

I think profit is what makes our society work. I think that the lowest bidder contractors who produce war materials at a profit constitute the arsenal of democracy, and that without that profit we would be bereft of the ability to defend ourselves.

My opinion is that any person who thinks profit is somehow evil when it is earned through legitimate business conducted to support his nation's war effort is hopelessly naive, misguided, lost. The alternative to profit-moticated war commerce: slave labor, such as was used by the Nazis in WWII.

Furthermore, I think that they guy who sells war materials to the enemy is part and parcel of the enemy, and is a legitimate military target, whether or not he is wearing a uniform.

But more to the point to which you were driving: I think a fool (small "f") who sells his stock in a viable company like HDI at a loss because his confidence melts when his country goes to war deserves the loss that he takes. I don't lack confidence in the fundamental strength of our economy, and I don't see any downside to HDI coming out of the Iraqi war. I'm happy to snap up the bargain the fearful HDI seller offers and turn it into a profit. And I'm betting that there will be such fearful sellers for a day or two once the firing starts, so I'm saving my DRIP money for then, rather than putting it in now.

On the other hand, if I had stock in an Iraqi company, or a company that derived a significant part of its business from Iraqi trade, I'd have sold long ago, profit or not, for all the reasons outlined in the four paragraphs preceding this one.

As always,

Tom
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.