Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Tony George threw out the hero drivers?

Yeah. 1996. Made all of the papers, and pissed-off a lot of happy open wheel fans. I'm surprised you didn't hear about it.

The hero drivers left on their own when Tony George decided to stop letting the incompetent fools who were running CART at the time flush OW down the drain unchallenged.

The "incompetent fools who were running CART at the time" were doing awfully damned good, though—that's where your argument DNS's. CART had built a low-buck F1 franchise that could get people without hundreds of millions of dollars international exposure. They had street courses, they had natural road courses, they had superspeedways and they had short ovals. They also had two other things: Fans and viewers.

The drivers didn't have to leave.

They could have all quit their jobs and signed-on to drive for Rachel's, with teams like Alan Pagan's? CART couldn't race there, any more. Tony George threw a fit and threw them all out.

They could have run the IRL.

They could have. In the sense that a senior captain for United Airlines could handle the right seat in some dumpy little commuter airline. Good sense prevailed, however, and the best racers stayed put and raced each other, rather than whoring themselves out in some bogus spec series in front of dozens of fans.

They blindly followed CART out the door like a bunch of sheep.

And were well-compensated for their "blindness" as you comically put it. They got to drive better cars on better tracks in front of better crowds against better drivers—and make money doing it.

And they paid the price.

Not having to race against Alan Pagan was paying a price? They missed a few Indy500's. A lot of drivers miss a few Indy500's. It hurt Tony George (and the fans, of course) a whole lot more than it hurt any of the CART drivers.

And quit worshipping Kalkhoven like he's some god or something.

An interesting plea, given that we both know I've never done that. All I've done is ask the question "What's wrong with the job Kalkhoven has done with ChampCar?" which you have been unable to answer. I'll tell you what, though. Since it's all rhetorical anyway, I'll stop worshiping him, if you'll stop damning him—since after all, he's gotten so much farther than anyone else at reunification of the two series.

Kalkhoven Will sell CCWS down the river in a New York minute if there's money in it for him, and that's a fact, jack.

You're cute, Slappy. But everyone understands that it can't be a fact unless and until it happens. Up to that point, it's just an (unsupported, again, but let's not put too fine a point on that) opinion.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.