Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
Based on some positions I'd been looking at before last week's dip, I still had a quote running in realtime for an AAPL 190-195-200 butterfly. Now, given that if the stock price is below 190 or above 200 by the end of the week the spread is worth zero, I had sort of written off the idea of buying into it when AAPL dropped from 192 to 151 in 3 trading days.

However, during yesterday's rebound, I noticed that I could open the position for a credit. I managed to open 40 contracts for credits averaging 4 cents per share, which is more than my commissions on the transaction. After commissions, I pocketed about 2 cents per share for opening the position.

So, if AAPL is below 190 at expiration, which I currently expect, my worst case is that I pocket about $80 after commissions. However, if AAPL has another couple of days of big rises (stranger things have happened), I should be able to close out the position for substantially more than I paid yesterday.

Perhaps I should build a screener to watch for these types of positions, which I'm assuming will pop up from time to time when volatility gets extremely high, as it did this past week.
-JMP
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.