Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Top of 12% bracket: $81,050
Top of 22% bracket: $$172,750

Total ordinary income at 22%: $172,750 - $81,050 = $91,700. Add this to the Roth conversion amount at 12% of $75,150 = $166,850, pushing the $5,000 QD+LTCG up but still taxed at 15%. That's a lot of Roth conversion for most, but it certainly can make sense if your employer plan rollover is well up into the 6 or even 7 digits and/or you expect a large jump in household income in the next few years.

A couple of other comments.
Social Security and Medicare taxes (FICA) are taxed on earned income, not un-earned income such as the ordinary income from a TIRA to RIRA conversion.

If I understand correctly, one question you have is "Why do [I] feel [I'm] automatically in the 22% marginal bracket rather than the 12% bracket?" Part of that is that I still have some "working life" hangover. That is, When I retired in 2020, I was still paying taxes on earned income, plus Social Security and Medicare taxes, plus I had a kid in college and another at home finishing off her college loans. So, there were a lot of expenses I didn't have in 2021 but I was still in a working/parent mentality. Also, in 2021, I had my health insurance go up *A LOT* because it went from paying a portion as employee to it being all on me. (And note--as an employee, the part I paid came out before taxes; once I paid 4x that on my own, it came from after-tax money.) I'll revisit my numbers once I complete my 2021 taxes next year.

On the topic of income subject to Social Security and Medicare taxes, I understand that the unearned income from IRA withdrawals or Roth conversions aren't subject to that. I was talking about how one's taxable income can cause his/her Social Security to be taxed at 0%, 50% or 85%. It looks like I will be in the situation where I will be at a mix of 50% and 85% if I get some of my income needs from a taxable IRA withdrawal, but all 50% if I get most of my income needs from a Roth IRA. So, the trade-off is: Pay 22% tax on a Roth conversion now and pay little taxes on SS later, or pay no tax on a Roth conversion now by not doing one, and pay 22% tax on an IRA withdrawal later along with 85% taxes on SS. The Medicare surcharge I mentioned was the one that you get hit with if your taxable income is >$182K.

I read Financial Dave's article on conversions, and there wasn't anything new there for me. Actually, your prompt to question my assumption of perpetually being in the 22% bracket was the most useful. We also want to remember that (unless something changes), the 12% tax rate goes to 15% and the 22% tax rate goes to 25% in 2026.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.