Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
This fall, I decided to topdress the lawn with compost for the first time. I core aerated first, then put down fescue seed, and put a thin layer of compost over that. One week later this morning, I'm seeing a lot of baby grass popping up through the compost. This may become an annual event.

PSU
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
...put down fescue seed...

Might want to look into Titan Rx brand of fescue. Has the ability to send out rhizomes to help fill in spaces. Won't spread like bermuda but regular fescue won't fill in. Cuts down on the need to reseed as much.

JLC
I may do that in the spring. What tool did you use to "thinly spread" compost?
No. of Recommendations: 2
What tool did you use to "thinly spread" compost?

https://landzie.com/product/landzie-compost-peat-moss-spread...

PSU
No. of Recommendations: 1
To add to my last reply, my local landscaping supply company rents the same or similar compost spreader for $25 per day. When I inquired, they said it rented first come, first served on the day of the rental. You couldn't reserve it. I decided to just buy one so I don't have a pile of compost sitting in the driveway hoping there is one available. Also I could take my time if I wanted and do it over several days. In the end, I covered all 4200 sq. ft. in about 3 hours. What was nice is that it filtered out any big chucks of dirt and wood.

PSU
my local landscaping supply company rents the same or similar compost spreader for $25 per day.

~~~

Good call making the purchase. If it lasts you 10 years, that means if you use it once a year, you're already ahead. Twice and you spent 1/2 of the rental... good way to fertilize!

BUT, make sure to store it properly. Can you hang it, off the ground, by the handles? You rarely find these used. Know why??? Store it on the ground, thru the winter... JUST ONCE. The mesh will rust, make bigger holes and it's on its way out. Most of these, after a few years, end up as scrap.
BUT, make sure to store it properly. Can you hang it, off the ground, by the handles? You rarely find these used. Know why??? Store it on the ground, thru the winter... JUST ONCE. The mesh will rust, make bigger holes and it's on its way out. Most of these, after a few years, end up as scrap.

Yes, I can hang it in the garage. Also I'm thinking I can spray paint it every few months with some Rustoleum or equivalent.

PSU
I forgot to add that I'm tempted to rent it to the neighbors for $20 per day until it is paid off.

PSU
Yes, I can hang it in the garage. Also I'm thinking I can spray paint it every few months with some Rustoleum or equivalent.

~~~

GREAT! Na, just rinse it off and keep it dry. Don't overthink it... also, that paint is not friendly to your yard. Please resist.

But a touch of oil, as needed, where called for. (think metal rotating contact points) Only really needed to keep from freezing up/bonding metal to metal, during storage.

LOL Yea, you can do that.

Don't you want neighbors who would help you... as needed, when needed?
Easier to attract flies with honey than vinegar.
Loan to some, rent to others...

ww.neitherloansorrentsanymore.pl

Don't you want neighbors who would help you... as needed, when needed?
Easier to attract flies with honey than vinegar.
Loan to some, rent to others...

This year I have 5 cubic yards of compost delivered since that is the smallest load the supply company would deliver. I only used half of the pile. My next door neighbor got the other half with the roller for free. If I continue this, I may have half of my street at my front door when it's delivered next year.

Plus half my neighbors already get free bottles of my homemade fermented hot sauce.

PSU
AHHHHHHHHHHHH... so you're "that neighbor". Gotcha... lol

Your call man. Do hope your neighbor shared in the compost bill though. I know, I have 10 yards of 3/8- and what's left of 10 yards topsoil sill waiting to be moved. Bought both ~9 months ago and know that prices have been on the rise...

Do hope your neighbor shared in the compost bill though.

Gave it to him for free. I know his finances are tight and I really don't need the money. He helped by getting rid of the pile that was blocking the garage.

PSU
OK. And again, your call...