Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
http://www.postchronicle.com/news/original/article_21241567.shtml

'FOX News is reporting that Owens may have attempted suicide. FOX News Channel says that KDFW/Channel 4 in Dallas initially made this claim.

KTVT/Channel 11 is reporting that a woman named "Etheridge," likely Owens' publicist Kim Ethridge, called police and reported a suicide attempt. The station said Owens ingested 35 pills.

According to the Dallas Police Department incident report, Owens told police he took more than 30 pills in a suicide attempt. A news conference is scheduled for later today...'

Ft.Worth Chronicle and elsewhere...
Print the post Back To Top
Even though he's a big jerk, I never wanted to see him come to this. I don't think anyone did. Hopefully, if he recovers this will get him to seek help and give him a second chance.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Neither do I, and frankly, in the Pantheon of Big Sports Jerks, I don't think he comes close to guys like Neon Deion, or Tyson, or Bonds, Bob Irsay, or Starbury, or Hollywood Henderson, or a lot of the jerk coaches.

He's an amazing athlete. I love to watch him play. JZC even had to buy me a TO jersey to payoff a bet. He would have OWNED Philadelphia for the rest of his natural life if he had just shut up and played, or even sat out a few games and came back.

Look at Jaws - people love him here, and NOT for his commentating. His SB performance was almost as bad as Big Ben's! He was awful, they lost by 17, and he's still revered here, and always will be. You can name examples from World B Free to Reggie Leach to Greg Luzinski. TO is much better than any of those guys, a real game-altering offensive player, likely the best WR in the NFL when's he's on his game. [Okay, Marvin is 1a, but still.]

Clearly he has some mental issues to work out, and I, for one, will be rooting for him the whole way. Jerk or no jerk.
Why would they release a guy who attempted suicide just a couple hours earlier?

Especially considering the reports that he was released alone.

I think there is still some information left to be disclosed belove we really knew what is going on here.

-- WP

No. of Recommendations: 0
Why would they release a guy who attempted suicide just a couple hours earlier?

Yeah, that doesn't smell right. I know here in California the hospital is required by law to hold you for something like 24 or 48 hours for observation if you attempt suicide. I think you're required to see a counseler as well. Might be different in Texas I guess.

I'm sure we haven't heard all the details yet. This whole thing sounds out of character for TO, but I guess he really could have had an allergic reaction to the meds that got him all effed in the head.
I guess what makes the least sense to me about all of this is the timing. I guess I could MAYBE understand if he did it last year after being permanently suspended, because there you have an organization that has you locked up and isn't paying you and there's just nothing you can do.

But here? Right now? This is when TO is most motivated! With the broken hand and Philly in less than 2 weeks, this is when TO comes back sooner than expected and makes a significant impact in a big game. He doesn't just give up and try to end his life.

Was Howard K. Stern in the room with him at the time???
http://tsn.ca/nfl/news_story/?ID=178969&hubname=

Another report with a little more info...Pete
Yeah, that doesn't smell right. I know here in California the hospital is required by law to hold you for something like 24 or 48 hours for observation if you attempt suicide

One phone call from Jerry Jones and the law becomes nothing more than a mild suggestion.
But here? Right now? This is when TO is most motivated! With the broken hand and Philly in less than 2 weeks, this is when TO comes back sooner than expected and makes a significant impact in a big game. He doesn't just give up and try to end his life.

He wasn't trying to end his life, he was trying to attract attention.
he was trying to attract attention

Yeah, if there's something TO doesnt have enough of, it's attention...

There hasnt been a sportscenter in 5 years that hasnt mentioned his name.
he was trying to attract attention

It's tough to believe it was a serious attempt.

Especially if you read the NFL story on it:
http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/DAL/9689202

Publicist Kim Etheredge said in various interviews Wednesday with Dallas-area media that the police have gotten the story wrong. She said she was with Owens, who was having trouble because he'd mixed his pain pills with supplements. She said she called for help because he was becoming unresponsive.

NFL Network analyst Deion Sanders said he spoke with Owens shortly before his release from the hospital and that Owens was in good spirits.

"The fact that it has been reported a suicide attempt, he's laughed at that notion. It was a case that medication that was taken wasn't accepted well in his system with the other vitamins he's on," Sanders said.

- C -
Yeah, that doesn't smell right. I know here in California the hospital is required by law to hold you for something like 24 or 48 hours for observation if you attempt suicide. I think you're required to see a counseler as well. Might be different in Texas I guess.

In TX they send you out w/ a horse and a six-gun w/ one cartridge.
<Yeah, that doesn't smell right. I know here in California the hospital is required by law to hold you for something like 24 or 48 hours for observation if you attempt suicide. I think you're required to see a counseler as well. Might be different in Texas I guess.

In TX they send you out w/ a horse and a six-gun w/ one cartridge.>>

In Chicago they just tell you to hold your breath until the Bears win another super bowl!

Publicist Kim Etheredge said in various interviews Wednesday with Dallas-area media that the police have gotten the story wrong. She said she was with Owens, who was having trouble because he'd mixed his pain pills with supplements. She said she called for help because he was becoming unresponsive.

...and I would expect a publicist to say nothing different, regardless of the truth.

NFL Network analyst Deion Sanders said he spoke with Owens shortly before his release from the hospital and that Owens was in good spirits.
"The fact that it has been reported a suicide attempt, he's laughed at that notion. It was a case that medication that was taken wasn't accepted well in his system with the other vitamins he's on," Sanders said.

Possibly meaningless, but also interesting, considering Deion has a suicide attempt on his resume.

TCF
I just overheard a coworker, who is listening to a radio, that T.O. is holding a press conference at 2:15 Eastern...

Deion has a suicide attempt on his resume.

I didn't know that.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Deion has a suicide attempt on his resume.

His music career?
I didn't know that.

In his autobiography, he described a time in 1997 when he drove his car off a cliff. Didn't really hurt himself badly, but he called it a suicide attempt and said it was one of his main motivators to becoming a born-again christian. I'm not sure what outsiders' takes on the situation were at the time, however.

TCF
"I just overheard a coworker, who is listening to a radio, that T.O. is holding a press conference at 2:15 Eastern..."

----------------------------------------------------------------

smith here in Dallas.

There is all kinds of news conferences this afternoon:

Jones
Drew
Parcells
and yes TO at 2:30
Eyewitness reported to police that TO had taken 23 pills or so when she called, and was taking 2 more when she physically tried to remove them from his mouth.

...and I would expect a publicist to say nothing different, regardless of the truth.

bingo.

Possibly meaningless, but also interesting, considering Deion has a suicide attempt on his resume.

Meaningless because Deion wasn't there. Police report indicates he had taken 2-3 dozen pills. [now, the report could be wrong, but I'll take it over Neon's commentary.]

Naj
Police report indicates he had taken 2-3 dozen pills.

I wonder if the hospital did blood tests to see if his metabolic level of whatever was in the pills matched gobbling that many of them. At least to monitor risk to his health, you'd have to assume they would have.
From the article:

When the Cowboys signed him to a $25 million, three-year deal in March, they said their background checks indicated no red flags.

I wonder who did the background check, Inspector Clouseau?
I didn't know that.

In his autobiography,...

It's also in the Feinstein book, but is very briefly described...

- C -
All I want to say about this is how stupid his PR person was.

I mean think about this. Am I the only person here who thinks the "25 Million reasons not to be depressed" comment is about as DUMB (among other things) as it gets? That's one thing that really burned me up.

All I want to say about this is how stupid his PR person was. Am I the only person here who thinks the "25 Million reasons not to be depressed" comment is about as DUMB (among other things) as it gets?

Yeah, I meant to say something about that. Tactless and clumsy. She really is terrible.