Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 21
"Parallel play" describes people who are enjoying independent activities in the company of another. For adults, what makes parallel play different than two people ignoring each other in the same room is a secure foundation underpinning their relationship. If you know that the other person is available and that, if you need them, they will pay attention to you, then you feel secure. Secure relationships give us the peace of mind to develop independent interests.

Adults who are more introverted can especially benefit from parallel play. It can give the sense of time well spent within close relationships and allows for adults to pursue the activities they would like to prioritize at that moment.

DH spends a lot of his time studying electromagnetism. (He's an Aspie who can enjoy reading an 800-page book on antennas from cover to cover.) When studying, he's in an absorbed state that I call "DH-land." If I want him, I say, "Earth to DH" and watch him come back to the real world. We spend a lot of time in parallel play since I have my own activities and interests.

I never heard of the term "parallel play" before but it describes our relationship well. We have been together since 1987 and would be lonely without each other...even if we spend a lot of time together not actually interacting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/24/well/live/parallel-play-f...

Wendy
Print the post  

Announcements

This is a Politics Free Board
Politically charged posts are not permitted on the Metar Board. If you make a political post, and it is alerted, the post will be removed. Thanks!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.