Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Had a bit of a scare today. I was walking around outside when I realized my left thigh was numb. I had motor control, but no sensation. I'm wondering what was moving in my spine (I gots rods, shouldn't be anything moving!). It went away in about 20 minutes, just long enough that I was thinking that I might have to learn to live with this right before it subsided. I still might. I don't know why it happened, nor why it went away, so it could return.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Hopefully it's not spine related.

It MIGHT be tight hip muscles? Gluteus? Piriformis? Major nerves to the legs, pass through and between these muscles.

A good stretch for these muscles is "figure 4" or "reclining pigeon" pose.
https://www.theyogacollective.com/poses/reclined-pigeon-pose...
This can also be done in a chair, but, for me, on the floor is best.
This is as gentle as you want/need it to be.
And relaxing for the lower back, too.

I wish you well.
🙏
ralph
No. of Recommendations: 2
I'd like to know how one crosses the right ankle over the right knee as in the instructions in the link. :)

Wessex
LOL.
In this instance 'right' means 'correct'?

🙏😅😂
ralph
No. of Recommendations: 1
I had the same symptom. It started as numbness and gradually increased to mild tingling pain over a period of months. I suspected it was caused by a harmless lipoma (fat lump) pressing on a nerve. My doctor diagnosed trochanteric bursitis, an inflammation of the hip. He gave me stretching exercises to do and I strengthened the muscles in that area with specific weight training.
While we’re complaining about old age - does anyone know what the following symptom is called? Without a term I don’t know what to search for. It’s a strained/inflamed muscle/ tendon/ ligament right where it joins the top left side of the pelvis (right above the butt). Nothing to do with the spine, so searches for back problems send me down a spiny dead end.

Recurrent problem, must be a common thing with a name?
NTJ --
Sciatica?
Sciatica refers to back pain caused by a problem with the sciatic nerve. This is a large nerve that runs from the lower back down the back of each leg. When something injures or puts pressure on the sciatic nerve, it can cause pain in the lower back that spreads to the hip, buttocks, and leg.
https://www.google.com/search?q=sciatica%3F&oq=sciatica%...
I had this problem about 2 years ago. Believe it or not, the firm balls people use to massage that area do work. You can sit on the ball and move it around the area. Some people hold the ball up against the wall and push the ball into the area of concern.

I found a journal article posted on a government (NIH) website! I had not seen this before.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3818773/
The Theory and Technique of Yamuna Body Rolling
This paper introduces the principles of YBR. My personal opinion is that YBR is a very effective approach in many clinical settings because it evaluates and treats conditions simultaneously and makes clients more independent. I hope that YBR will be used as a self-conditioning method for not only healthy people but also patients who require physical therapy in clinical fields.

Yamuna is kinda expensive but they have the moves down and have garnered a lot of attention. There are plenty of other sources and methods so not pushing Yamuna! My daughter, Heather, bought some sort of similar devices (tubes and balls) while in Germany to help her.
https://www.yamunausa.com/pages/body-rolling
strained/inflamed muscle/ tendon/ ligament right where it joins the top left side of the pelvis (right above the butt). Nothing to do with the spine, so searches for back problems send me down a spiny dead end.

I have mild pain in my right hip, more with heavier usage such as longer walks, squats, stairs--especially while carrying heavier loads. It gets worse with more exercise :-(

What was reported on my hip imaging:

FINDINGS: There is no fracture, malalignment, or focal osseous destruction.

There is mild right and left hip joint space narrowing with prominent osteophyte formation [ED--osteophyte=bony outgrowth associated with degeneration of cartilage at joints].

Multifocal enthesopathy noted throughout the pelvis.[ED--enthesopathy=disorder involving attachment of a tendon or ligament to a bone. If the condition is inflammatory, it can more precisely be called enthesitis.]

Mild degenerative changes are present at the sacroiliac joints. No focal soft tissue abnormality.

-----

Does any of this seem to apply? I suggest getting imaging.
alstro: What was reported on my hip imaging:

FINDINGS: There is no fracture, malalignment, or focal osseous destruction.

There is mild right and left hip joint space narrowing with prominent osteophyte formation [ED--osteophyte=bony outgrowth associated with degeneration of cartilage at joints].

Multifocal enthesopathy noted throughout the pelvis.[ED--enthesopathy=disorder involving attachment of a tendon or ligament to a bone. If the condition is inflammatory, it can more precisely be called enthesitis.]

Mild degenerative changes are present at the sacroiliac joints. No focal soft tissue abnormality.

The Countess has a painful right leg (thigh). After some messing around, it seems her problem is in her back. Fourth lumbar to be exact. That's where the nerve for that part of her leg emerges from the spine. She has been getting periodic epidurals as a palliative treatment. No cure. Well, maybe to fuse her back. The insurance company hates it, as the treatment is expensive.

CNC
In my case I have to worry about pieces moving where they shouldn't. My L2 exploded, basically. There were bits in the spinal canal. They put in rods and screws, but it will take time for the bone to heal. Hopefully there isn't an errant piece trying to mess with my spinal cord.

The surgeon said I was lucky I wasn't paralyzed. He indicated that was common with an injury this severe. I had a slight flop of my right foot, but the PT noticed and had me actively try to correct it. I'm walking OK now.
For back trouble it is really worth working with yoga and physical therapy. Very often the problem is not a messed up nerve but an elusive muscle fiber or group of muscle fibers existing in a state readily triggered into spasm.

Stretches and very gentle muscle training can cure a lot for stunningly less money and pain and risk, and so go that route first!

David fb
...and obviously I am not talking about cases like 1pg, who is lucky to be able to move and thank goodness for expert surgery.

David fb
The Countess has a painful right leg (thigh). After some messing around, it seems her problem is in her back. Fourth lumbar to be exact. That's where the nerve for that part of her leg emerges from the spine. She has been getting periodic epidurals as a palliative treatment. No cure. Well, maybe to fuse her back. The insurance company hates it, as the treatment is expensive.

My mother had back fusion 10 or so years ago. Worked out fine for her. Medicare+supplemental had no problem paying for it. Before that, she got the shots in her back every few months (I used to take her).

I have 2 bad discs in a row (the most common L4, L5). I've had them since an injury in my 20s when I had no health insurance and did nothing about it other than take aspirin in order to work. When I overuse my back and it hurts enough to prevent sleep or housework, I take 4 ibuprofen. I guess it doesn't bother me enough to complain to my dr/get a referral as I haven't done so--it's been part of my life for decades.

I also have a somewhat painful right inner thigh--feels more like the groin muscle, very high up. Ortho not concerned about it. PT helps when given, but within a couple of days, it hurts again. Eh. It's not high enough on my list of problems.

I'm a bit stiff when I get up in the morning between one thing and another, but it quickly subsides as I get moving. I refuse to take pain killers all day--I'm ditzy enough!
I don't know why this is bothering me, but it is. My MIL is mentioning me in her prayers before she eats. I don't speak Tagalog well enough to understand it all, but she appears to be giving "thanks" for my continuing recovery.

Which is really annoying me. Normally I don't feel that way. The person is making a nice gesture, so rather than give them a lecture on religion I just take it for what it is. But this time it is really annoying me. Follow me: if there is a god then he put that brain tumor in my head, which had to be removed, which apparently led to the seizure that broke my back. It wasn't a question of free will as I did nothing to put that tumor in my head. He didn't take it out. We had a skilled surgeon to do that. And when I broke my back, was that really necessary? Why not have me seize when I was sitting down instead? SO WHAT IS SHE THANKING HIM FOR??!!! It's his bloody fault that I have experienced what I have over the past 6 months. Not my choice, no one else's fault. HIS!!

It's really irritating me. "Thank you for abusing my son-in-law". Is it Stockholm Syndrome? Battered wife syndrome?

And you are correct that my latest situation was corrected with expert surgery (and titanium rods). Nothing divine, just hardware and modern medicine. And a brace I have to wear for another ~2 months while Arizona is getting warm (the brace is basically a stormtrooper breast and back plate with some padding; wrap-around and the padding is insulating...i.e. warm).

1poorguy
It's really irritating me. "Thank you for abusing my son-in-law". Is it Stockholm Syndrome? Battered wife syndrome?

When bad things happen to people one cares about, the human response is to want to do something about it. It is tough when there isn't anything one can do. There isn't much your MIL can do about your medical condition. But what she can do is pray. It is a response to otherwise being helpless in a situation.

A far more trivial example of this are the superstitions people have when rooting for their favorite sports teams. The rituals fans go through when their team lines up for the last second field goal are ridiculous, but it is better than feeling helpless.
Sciatica?... When something injures or puts pressure on the sciatic nerve, it can cause pain in the lower back that spreads to the hip, buttocks, and leg.

Once when I had this, a doctor gave me a cortisone shot and it immediately fixed it. As in, within one minute. Cortisone I think is an anti-inflammatory, and wouldn’t affect a nerve.

What triggered it this time was being on my knees pulling spring weeds in my lawn, then getting up to move to the next weedy spot. Corona laziness and freezing weather had left me out of shape then this sudden lifting stress on the gluteus apparently was too much.
1pg

What btresist said, and

It is often useful to think of most religious prayer and imprecation as a strange ancient language with a bizarre grammar, a grammar that uses god words as grammatical auxiliary words to activate heartfelt meanings. Have you ever heard Russians debate what in the world is meant in English by the words “the” and “a” and their variants? They often ascribe wonderfully bizarre motivations and definitions for what for us are basically place holders.

Imagine her stuff about your tumor as saying “To the extent he or I are in any way responsible for that horrible thing, I am deeply and heartfeltedly thankful [via god auxiliary word] to him and myself and the surgeon and the universe as a whole that we are no longer doing such horrible stupid things....

Etc.

Emotions of strong guilt, grief, joy are like wet laundry that needs hanging on clothes lines or they mildew. This type of petitionary and thanksgiving talk provides clotheslines.

She is doing her best with both the model of the world she learned and the grammar she uses when addressing that word.

Hope that if this doesn’t help it at least amuses a bit.

David fb
Which is really annoying me. Normally I don't feel that way. The person is making a nice gesture, so rather than give them a lecture on religion I just take it for what it is. But this time it is really annoying me. Follow me: if there is a god then he put that brain tumor in my head, which had to be removed, which apparently led to the seizure that broke my back. It wasn't a question of free will as I did nothing to put that tumor in my head. He didn't take it out. We had a skilled surgeon to do that. And when I broke my back, was that really necessary? Why not have me seize when I was sitting down instead? SO WHAT IS SHE THANKING HIM FOR??!!! It's his bloody fault that I have experienced what I have over the past 6 months. Not my choice, no one else's fault. HIS!!

Calm down! Take a deep breath. You could have my Southern Baptist sister* praying for your soul.

CNC
*and her Southern Baptist ordained minister husband.
She is doing her best with both the model of the world she learned and the grammar she uses when addressing that word.

I certainly understand that. Religion messes people up, and atrophies parts of their brains (they have observed this, I'm not speaking hyperbolically). And she actually likes me.

I understand enough Tagalog, and have heard Xian prayers numerous times, that I get the gist of what she is saying. "Salamat po". "Thank you very much, sir, for looking out for my son-in-law". Except, as I already pointed out, if there is a deity then it's his fault I have been tortured for the past 6 months. At the minimum, as with Job, he let it happen. At worst, he put the tumor there himself.

I could understand prayer in the form of "why did you let this happen" (and I have heard such prayers in my life). But thanking the deity responsible? As I said, that's Stockholm Syndrome, isn't it? She is the equivalent of a battered wife, and religion has done that to her.

I haven't said anything since, as you say, she's doing her best with a screwed-up model of the universe. And she does like me, so there is nothing nefarious or sinister. But it really irritates me (probably irrational of me) that someone would be thanking a deity for my situation. Or my wife's situation (another case of "the deity put it there"...it wasn't anything she did).

How can a person not see that and question "why did you do that"?
1pg: I haven't said anything since, as you say, she's doing her best with a screwed-up model of the universe. And she does like me, so there is nothing nefarious or sinister. But it really irritates me (probably irrational of me) that someone would be thanking a deity for my situation. Or my wife's situation (another case of "the deity put it there"...it wasn't anything she did).

How can a person not see that and question "why did you do that"?

Job's friends advised him to "Curse God and die," but Job kept the faith and was rewarded. (Of course, he lost his wife and all his family, but he came out of the experience richer than before.)

CNC
Job's friends advised him to "Curse God and die," but Job kept the faith and was rewarded. (Of course, he lost his wife and all his family, but he came out of the experience richer than before.)

That is one of the more sinister and wicked stories in the bible. Basically, Satan goaded God into a bar bet. Then all sorts of horrible things happened around Job. His innocent wife and children were killed for no reason. Sure, Job got a new family in the end. But that doesn't make up for the slaughter of his original family (yet, somehow the authors of the story think it does!!!).

I have no illusion that MiL would curse god. I'm the only unabashed blasphemer in the family (1poorkid is still hesitant to come out of the closet on that one). But it's legit (I think) to question "why".
Count, not quite.

“Curse God and die” was the advice given to Job by Job’s wife, and its meaning is complex. Literally she tells him to “Bless God and then die”, but the phrase was a deeply ironic colloquial one that in actual use at that time and in that context meant to curse rather than to bless.... Ah, Biblical interpretation has never been easy. My read on that line is that the double meaning is intentional, but the colloquial meaning carries the main personal truth of cursing god for her as she counsels her husband.

Job’s friends put him through an endless and to me a still all too familiar yammering of “but you must have done something wrong because God is just!” They are SATANIC in the original Semitic meaning of that word, meaning they are accusers. Finally God shows up and rebukes them, letting them in on the big secret that “God” can be and is utterly arbitrary.

Job sticks with the reality that he suffers for no reason, and the unreasonableness of existence on those terms, an extremely ancient piece of high modernism. He won’t give up, and he won’t lie to himself, yet respects/worships what overpowers him. Near the end is Job’s final vision of God, after which Job says the line (mistranslated as utter abasement in most English versions) that Kurt Vonnegut expanded in his novel Cat’s Cradle into this

God said to some of that mud, "Sit up!"
"See all I've made", said God, "the hills, the sea, the sky, the stars."
And I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around.
Lucky me, lucky mud.

The main narrative is very ancient and has been found in texts of other mideastern cultures far predating the Hebrew of the Bible. Stephen Mitchell’s translation is my favorite, and with terrifically useful notes.

David fb
Davidfb: Count, not quite.

“Curse God and die” was the advice given to Job by Job’s wife,

Thanks - I relied on my admittedly failing memory. I only use the King James version - the version used by the apostle Paul.

CNC
The KJV is generally regarded as a poor translation, or so I understand. Though that is the first version I was exposed to.

I use biblegateway.com for all my reference needs. It has versions you've probably never heard of, including the KJV. I tend to use the NIV or the NAB, as their prose is not so obscure and their translations are supposed to be more accurate.

I find it interesting that two prominent stories that are supposed to extol the virtues of the protagonists actually show them to be exceptionally wicked. First is Abraham trying to kill Isaac. Supposedly Abraham is virtuous because he sought to obey god's will (by committing murder of his own son). The second is Job where god allows himself to get roped into a bar bet about Job, and then allows people to be killed and misery dispensed to win that bet. That may have been "moral" in ancient Palestine, but it is wicked and evil by today's standards.

Further proof that the secular world is leaps and bounds ahead of the religious world in terms of morality. As it has been for at least the last century, dragging religion kicking and screaming into a more modern moral era.

I will never again allow a theist to lecture me on morality. Secular society is in every way ahead of theism on this front. As Hitchens once put it, people are only good in so far as they don't follow their religious scriptures. If they actually followed them, they would be in secular prison. (Secular society frowns on smiting, slavery, and genocide.)
the version used by the apostle Paul

LOL! And unfortunately that sentiment is a mild form of KJVidolatry.

David fb