Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
A rib eye steak used to be quite a treat. Has anyone else noticed now they seem to be tough and chewy?

It's hard to believe USDA has changed beef grading.

More likely it's a Covid response. Closed restaurants and packing plants, people not going out, no business travel or vacations reduced demand. Cattle men responded by holding steers longer. So those going to market are older than optimum. They make great hamburger but steaks are a problem.

You wonder how long it will take to work off the backlog. The cows are still having calfs.

Or is it that restaurants are downgrading quality to maintain margins as costs rise?

What do you think?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Cook it sous vide.

PSU
No. of Recommendations: 1
Restaurants seem to fix it the old way with not good results.
We get ours locally straight from the farm.
Grass-fed Angus. It's been fine.
Restaurants are likely buying cheaper steaks with predictable results.

We have bought rib eye steaks from a local grocery store and directly from an almost local ranch. The steaks bought and shipped from the ranch are better quality and more expensive. The store bought steaks were consist quality with previous steaks bought from the store but the price had risen.
No. of Recommendations: 6
Probably better for the BBQ board, but...

One of the positives that came out during Covid: A local chef decided to use his covid-shut restaurant's supply chain to offer fresh meat deliveries to home cooks. You purchase items by the steak, and he hand delivers them vacuum sealed and in a cold box. Not you everyday steaks - we're talking high end beef: it starts at angus prime and goes up from there to various grades of wagyu beef. Not exactly cheap, but since dining out wasn't an option, I admit we ordered meat from him multiple times in the last year. Filets, ribeye, flap steak, beef ribs. I can now confirm that a properly cooked medium-rare wagyu filet does not even require a knife to cut and eat. Right now I've got my eyes on a 2+ pound tomahawk ribeye for my next order.