Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Watched a lot of ball this weekend (played some too;-) and here are just a few things I made note of:

My team ... a win is a win. Yes, both wins this weekend were UGLY. But hey, we're still in the tournament (unlike 49 other teams!). Too much drama for my stomach though;-) I mean, we were in control of both games until the final minutes when we gave our opponent's opportunities to tie/beat us. Ugh! And, we got 10 points from Anthony McHenry in BOTH games! Just think what we can do if we can figure out a way to get Will Bynum (0 points Sunday) & Luke Schenscher (two points) involved in the offense again! Most Bobby Cremins' Tech teams would find a way to lose this coming weekend to Nevada or UAB (surely Kansas will choke away its chance to make the elite eight;-) whom they should be favored to beat. Will Paul Hewitt's club find away to make it to San Antonio? BTW, my college roommate from Tech, a North Carolina native, took his kid to the games but I've yet to talk to him (he gets home today).

Wake Forest - not looking forward to facing Justin Gray and (especially!) Chris Paul for the next 2-3 years. And, can anyone tell me why we must see Eric Williams's mom on TV all the time? Each of the four times I've seen the Deacons play this season, I've noticed they show her several times throughout the game. I don't think I've seen ANY other player's mom from ANY other team even once! Is it because she wears that yellow hat? And, Eric Williams was almost the goat on Saturday fouling Manhattan's 3-point shooter at the end of the game. Then, if you watched him on the bench, he wasn't even cheering when his teammate sealed the game with a dunk ... it was as if he was thinking "that should've been me" and was too jealous to celebrate with the rest of his team.

NC State - "you live by the three, you die by the three". I did a quick analysis of NC State's results this season and noted that if every basket counted for only 2 points, they would have lost at least two key games (one against us;-) they won and several of their losses would have been more pronounced. Yes, I know, that you can't analyze box scores in a vacuum (the games strategy, how the offense & defense work, indeed a team's makeup, can be/is built around the fact that there is a 3-point line) especially after 25 years of its existence in college hoops. However, VANDY gave the Pack a dose of their own medicine yesterday, I'm sorry to say 'cause I think a UConn/NCSU game would've been fun to watch (to see the Huskies lose to three ACC teams in one season;-) Also, the intentional foul on Melvin at the end was BOGUS. The fact is, ANY foul at the end of the game or on a breakaway layup can be called intentional 'cause IT IS. However, it was not flagrant (I think the Vandy player slipped) and the call probably altered the result ... keeping the ACC from being 25% of the sweet 16.

UNC - I didn't stay up that late on Saturday night 'cause I play tennis on Sunday mornings, but I watched long enough to see that Texas was going to beat 'em. Looks like Sean May had a tough night else the result would surely have been different. One question though, can Brandon Mouton score without grunting or yelling "AHHH"? Was I the only one that noticed that every time he went up for a shot around the basket he moaned?

Duke, of course, is where everyone has come to expect them to be ... in the sweet 16. Coach K's program is the envy of our conference, and hence the nation, which especially grates on those of us who were students at Tech when we joined the ACC and watched him build his program at the same time Cremins was building ours. Though we played them head-to-head pretty well in those early years, it was a mystery how they used to win against our superior players. It's only obvious now, with hindsight, that they won with great teamwork, unselfishness, and discipline until their program was winning enough to also get great athletes as well.

After picking 27 of the first 32 games correctly, my bracket has only 8 of the sweet 16 remaining even though I predicted Gonzaga's upset, Syracuse's win over Maryland, and Illinois' win over Cincinnati. However, my bracket is "for sh*t" 'cause I had Kentucky beating Mississippi State in the final. If OSU and UConn make it, at least I'll have picked half the final four correctly. That's right, an ACC guy like me picked NO ACC teams in the final four ... but I fill out my bracket hoping to be wrong;-)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.