Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Got to chatting about this video on another discussion board related to my Towing Vehicle from a past trip where we were white knuckle driving in high winds. My trip ended safely and without incident. Not so much for the person in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwOqARlw1EI

Short of not driving at all, from the video, what can you see that would have prevented this from happening if anything?

CONTEXT:
Appears to be a 1 Ton GMC Pickup towing a longer bumper pull trailer. I'm guessing in the 30+ feet size based on what I see.

xSSMBB
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
It looks, if you halt it near the end, that it popped off the ball, so that's one problem that shouldn't have happened. The other is that I don't see any equalizer bars, so he/she was towing with only the ball connection, I think the equalizer hitch and anti-sway connections might have stopped the flip... Safety chains worked, kept the truck attached... But that had to put a lot of stress on the trailer...

Maybe they could flop it back on it's wheels... Imagine what it's like inside, dishes, food, bashed all over...

Spooky.. I tow a 28' trailer, but use equalizer & anti-sway... Nothing scary so far...
No. of Recommendations: 1
I would lay heavy odds that the cops cited the guy for a weight violation.

The pickup - just like every other vehicle on the road - has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (what the pickup with all its load, including the load that the trailer puts on the pickup as well as fuel and passengers, is allowed to weigh) and also a Gross Combination Weight Rating (what the pickup and trailer, combined and loaded, are allowed to weigh).

Exceeding EITHER of those limits is, at best, hard on the tow vehicle, and can easily contribute to accidents like this. Or worse - what if much the same thing had happened on the edge of a cliff, or if there had been a car in the other lane, or...

It's also illegal.
The GVWR, assuming it was a ¾T or 1T pickup would be fine, most likely unless it was full of scrap iron! But, a nearly empty trailer is like a sail, large are compared to it's weight...

Tongue weight is probably well under a 1/2T, normal for most trailers, total weight would be more important to the towing, braking abilities, but even then the trailer adds it's own braking to help out there, via the brake controller, again, assuming it was adjusted right..

Tires are part of the equation, too, a bowout on the trailer, timed with a wind gust, bad news..

We really don't know all the details to criticize the incident, I know I've see big rigs get blown off the road, too, at least this guy's safety chains worked, he wasn't speeding, nobody hurt, etc... Scary and likely expensive to fix, but..

weco
We pull off the road into a parking lot when we run into high winds, spending the night there if we have to. WE also pulled into a parking lot when our weather alarm signaled tornados in the area <yikes! that was in very open country in Eastern South Dakota...quite a few rvs pulled into the same parking lot>.

=alstro, DH, and 26' Lazy Daze towing a car
I remember on our trip out west we got waylaid in Kansas City with winds that just wouldn't end. Never mind we were in the fugliest campground I remember, after four days, and forecasts (and locals) who told us it wasn't going to change, we loaded up and went.

Filled the water tank, filled the gas tank, filled the propane tank, and did not dump either the grey water or black tanks for two days, and if I could have figured out a way to add more weight I would have.

And driving down the Interstate, I swear there we a couple of times when it was like a huge fist punched the rig in the side and I skipped over half a lane. There are a couple things I don't want to do again (driving through Yosemite is another) and that's one of them.

(36' DP with a scooter in the front and a toad behind.)
WOW...does that video bring back bad memories! It wasn't wind but a rear tire on the drivers side blowing out on our suburban and a sandy shoulder that the 24 ft trailer weaved into that was our undoing. Fortunately the trailer didn't flip over but it started to and almost took the suburban with it, but the weight of the suburban kept it from going over and it plopped back down on the ground crashing into the suburban as we jack-knifed! We still have the piece of tire that actually blew out of the tire. And just so you know, we had the tires checked just 200 miles before at BIG O and DH is always checking tires and he had just checked them at the last rest area not 1/2 hour earlier!

Sorry...don't have an answer to your question other than don't drive in high winds.

Utahtea
we had the tires checked just 200 miles before at BIG O and DH is always checking tires and he had just checked them at the last rest area not 1/2 hour earlier!

Now that's scary! Glad you lived to tell the tale, Utahtea.

I thought we were pretty well protected by checking tire pressure whenever we stop for any reason (hubby has a little gizmo, plus he occasionally checks at the air pump at gas stations). I've been wondering about getting a tire pressure monitoring system. Do any of you have one? What do you think?
I thought we were pretty well protected by checking tire pressure whenever we stop for any reason (hubby has a little gizmo, plus he occasionally checks at the air pump at gas stations). I've been wondering about getting a tire pressure monitoring system. Do any of you have one? What do you think?

DH has ALWAYS been VERY vigilant about checking tires. Not only does he check tire pressure but he kept records of tread depths and looks for bulges. I don't know how many tires we had replaced because he spotted a bulge that was almost impossible to notice. I don't think we paid for more than one set of new tires on the Suburban because we were always getting them replaced free of charge because of the bulges.

DH has looked into the pressure monitoring system but he worries that they will leak air.

Utahtea
We use the SmarTire System. It works well and the tires do not lose air.

Sue <- 45' Newmar towing a Jeep