Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a 97 Camry with 31K miles. Drives well, really pleased with the car. It just had a tune up last week, and now the check engine light is on. Has remained on since Saturday. Could this be serious? I took it to a mechanic that I have not used in a long time, but that seems to have a good reputation in my small town. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks.
Print the post Back To Top
Howdy newman47240

It's probably not serious. If the light was not on before the tune-up, then the mechanic may have left a connector disconnected. Some wire connections that lead to the engine control computer sometimes need to be disconnected in order to gain access to components on the engine in order to perform the tune-up. If all the connections are good, then your mechanic will have to use a scan tool in order to clear the check engine light.

Hope this helps.

Michael
newman47240 Date: 5/30/00 5:05 PM Number: 6199
-----------------------------------------------------

<<I have a 97 Camry with 31K miles. Drives well, really pleased with the car. It just had a tune up last week, and now the check engine light is on. Has remained on since Saturday. Could this be serious? I took it to a mechanic that I have not used in a long time, but that seems to have a good reputation in my small town. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?>>

Yes, serious thoughts.

Although it may be something relatively simple, such as a loose wire, it is also possible that the drain plug came loose, that insufficient oil was put in the engine, or that the oil pump is not working for some reason.

At least check the oil and coolant levels, have someone find out why that light comes on, and fix it.

Don't wait until another Saturday. Don't wait another day. Do it NOW! And, until you have done so, PARK IT!

Driving around with that warning light on is one of the very best time-proven ways in which to destroy your engine, sooner or later.

Even if you have oil pressure, you are giving up the potential of saving the engine in the event that the light could be telling you something important.

The ideal would be to have an oil pressure gauge which, if monitored, can tell you a great deal about the condition of an engine and may warn of possible problems before they become major problems.

They started putting in "idiot lights" because idiots would not bother to monitor the oil pressure and it was cheaper to merely put in a red light which might catch an idiot's attention.

Hovever, if idiots won't even heed a red light, they might as well not put in anything and save even more money.

The red light means SOMETHING.

PAY ATTENTION TO IT!

Very seriously,

DHatch

P.S. Most engine failures occur due to overheating or oil starvation and usually because of a failure to properly monitor fluid levels, gauges, and/or red lights.

YOU ARE NOW WARNED!

ACT APPROPRIATELY!