Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
It’s an automotive industry truism: With every redesign, a car gets a little bigger and more powerful, and gains some safety features and creature comforts, while also seeing an incremental improvement in fuel economy.

And then there's the redesigned 2016 Toyota Prius. It not only easily tops its previous-generation's fuel economy, but also goes farther on a gallon of gasoline than any vehicle Consumer Reports has ever tested. By our measurements, it chalked up 52 mpg overall. That figure tops the previous-generation Prius' 44 mpg, and bests the original Honda Insight’s 51 mpg from way back in 2000.

http://www.consumerreports.org/prius/toyota-prius-52-mpg/

Fuskie
Who knows this board has been dormant for a while but would love to stimulate some fresh discussion of hybrid, electric and alternative energy vehicles...

-----
Ticker Guide for The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Orbital ATK (OA), Blue Nile (NILE), Intuit (INTU), Time Warner (TWX)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post (tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure)
Print the post Back To Top
Hi Fuskie,

Good idea. I traded my 2nd generation 2004 Prius in for a 4th generation 2016 Prius a couple months ago. I'd been waiting for 4G for a couple years, and it was worth the wait. It is niiice, and an improvement over my 2004 (which I liked a lot) in pretty much every respect. I had test drove a 3G a couple years ago, but wasn't impressed with that one. But 4G hits the spot!

I got a "touring" version, which has 17-inch wheels instead of 15.5, that along with a beefed-up suspension give it a very smooth and comfortable ride. I'm averaging a legitimate 50 mpg, taking into consideration that what shows on the screen in the car looks to be about 5% high (based on the amount of gas that I'm having to buy to fill the tank vs. the number of miles I've driven). And that includes a lot of freeway miles--it actually does a little better in town.

I also test drove a Chevy Volt and a Ford C-Max. I really wanted to like the Volt, since I hate going to gas stations and its 50-mile all-electric range would cover most of my driving. But it was just too small for me to use to go on trips, and didn't excite me to drive. Ditto the C-Max--it was OK but didn't do much for me. Maybe it's because I already had a Prius so was somewhat used to it, but as soon as I started test-driving the 2016 everything clicked for me, and what I was expecting to be a difficult decision of which one to get turned out to be very easy.
The FuskieMobile™ hit 10 years old last March, and I'm approaching 95,000 miles. I've actually driven more in the last 3 years than the first 7 as my current job enjoys a 25mi one way commute each day. I don't have any plans to replace the FuskieMobile™ any time soon, but the new Prius does tempt me.

Fuskie
Who has looked at electric vehicles, but there aren't enough charging stations between Atlanta and Disney World for him to make the trip, so until there's a battery that can get 500mi per charge...

-----
Ticker Guide for The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Orbital ATK (OA), Blue Nile (NILE), Intuit (INTU), Time Warner (TWX)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post (tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure)