Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
tr,

I'm willing to bet we've already seen bottoms on things like MRK, JNJ, BRK.a, GE, PEP, SWY, SGP and a whole host of other oddballs (AVZ, GLK, GMT, TMK) that I would have loved to buy at mid-week prices (not that some of them aren't still relatively cheap). But it would be hard for me to pull the trigger on MRK at $46 when I know I missed an opportunity at $39 (notwithstanding that I also wanted to buy it in the low $50's last spring--I know it doesn't make any sense).

And I agree with you on high yield bonds. I'll probably sign up for Vanguard LT Corporate (VWESX) when I start my 401(k) in another month (I'd go with VWEHX if it was an option).

I think there will be some major blow-ups in banks, and in some more over-leveraged telecoms. FBF is acting like it wants to blow up. F and T probably ought to blow up. But there should also be tremendous opportunity on the long side if you can avoid the landmines.

And I'm especially bullish (albeit selectively) because I can't find anything obvious to short anymore.

Todd
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.