Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Yuliya Nesterenko of Belarus won the women's 100m dash on the track tonight. It is the first time since Moscow's 1980 Games that a US woman didn't win the gold.

If you didn't get to see it tonight, try to find a replay of it. If you want to see perfect sprint form, this is about as close as you are going to get. She had a few minor quirks, but this is one of the best women's sprint form I've seen in quite a long time.

Lauryn Williams of the US won the silver, the youngest to medal in the event in quite some time--they said it tonight, but I can't remember. She'll obviously have a great shot to compete for the gold in Beijing. However, she's got a lot of work to do, in my opinion--I could see 4 significant flaws in her form tonight during the final race that she'll have to fix to continue to get significantly better. Still, she's a promising young talent and could represent the next wave of American sprinting glory, now that some of the current famous names are aging out of contention.

Side notes: Stacy Dragila failed to even make the finals in the vault. This is a huge disappointment--she's a former world record holder and won the event in Sydney. She dropped out more than a foot and a half below her personal best. That's an amount that's almost inexplicable.

And, of course, triple jump news from me: Tiombe Hurd, who set the American record in the triple during the US Trials, didn't make it out of the qualifying round either. I didn't get to see this today--sigh, I'll see if I can catch a replay--so I can't comment on her form. But this is another big disappointment for the American women's team.

Women's triple jump final is Monday. The long jump starts qualifying on Wednesday. I'll be interested to see how Marion Jones does in the long, since historically, she's been a pretty crappy long jumper (form-wise, that is). But with nothing else to worry about this time around, maybe she'll focus better than she has in the past. I wouldn't count on it though--I think she's got too many problems in her form to be a consistent jumper, so it really will be a matter of luck whether or not she's able to pull it off.

The men's triple jump final is tomorrow. I'm gonna try real hard to find out when it airs so I can get it on Tivo. If anyone knows for certain when it'll be on, let me know, please!

--WP
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.