Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
It occured to me recently that one could contribute to a traditional IRA in a high income year to take advantage of the tax deduction in a high tax rate year, and then convert it to a Roth IRA in a year when ones tax rate is lower, thereby paying a lower tax on the amount and getting the advantage of no tax when it's time to distribute.

Is this a sound idea or can anyone punch holes in it?

I'm thinking of recharacterizing my Roth IRA contributions for 2005 to a Traditional IRA to get the tax deduction for 2005, a high income year, and then I can roll it over to a Roth in a low income year.

I'm also thinking of rolling over my SEP IRA to a Roth in 2006, a low income year for me.

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.