No. of Recommendations: 1
TRADE LOG:

Cinching down my Stop-Loss buyin down to 27.12...
Bringing my share risk to .32, position risk to $236.80 (+ r/t.)

Stopped out by a nuthair... and so it is!

Burned $236.80, + $20 r/t = $256.80.
Remaining balance $10,000 - $256.80 = $9,743.20

Acid-Test Question;
Would I choose to again to go short from here given the action;
Answer; I don't think so... the selloff (as it were) LOOKS like it's just digesting the hiccup runup of a few days ago, rather than being something sustainable at this point...

THUS, the stop very likely did it's job correctly... even when adjusted down ultimately taking me out faster than had I left it where it was.

In previous systems I'd let a trade "wallow & think" for at least three days while still in the "entry zone" before cinching down trailing stops. I cinched here because;
A) There isn't a whole lot of short potential in MSFT,
B) It looks likely to eventually be bullish,
C) I'm eyeballing a vague, undefined "pull it out of my ear" execution discretion system, but applying tight discipline to it's execution for the exposure of it all...

Comments & Lessons;
It was a "good loss" in that it was properly and tightly managed, without allowing market frivolity & emotion to prevail.

Next trade from here I would be focusing on finding a more tightly wound consolidation set-up with greater breakout opportunities... OR ELSE I would fire up my reversal algorithm looking for pivots with higher probabilities of reversals...

Since I'm still primarily playing "banklender" on TV & the real world... I'll do this again as I stumble upon opportunities that slap me upside the head without needing to be found too hard.

Cheers,
Dave
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.