Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
Stock up on cheap washing machines and solar panels? Might see more US treasuries hit the market?

I suppose higher cost solar panels might draw some notice in some circles? Washing machines are maybe a once a decade purchase. Wonder if ours will get more expensive, mine is ~11 years old.

On a Macro level I wonder how the Chinese will respond?

Tim

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42784380

US slaps 'America First' tariffs on washing machines and solar panels

1 hour ago

The US has approved controversial tariffs on imported washing machines and solar panels.

A spokesman said the administration would "always defend American workers, farmers, ranchers and businessmen".

But China and South Korea, whose manufacturers will be most heavily affected, criticised the move.

US officials said more trade enforcement actions would follow.

The tougher policy was approved ......... after the US International Trade Commission (ITC) found local manufacturers were being hurt by cheaper imports.

Manufacturing companies - Whirlpool, a US-based maker of washing machines, and the solar firms Suniva and Solar World Americas - had complained to the ITC and it found in their favour.

The tariffs set on solar panels were lower than domestic US producers had hoped for, but the duties on washing machines and parts were steeper than expected - adding as much as 50% in some cases, according to US documents.
Print the post  

Announcements

This is a Politics Free Board
Politically charged posts are not permitted on the Metar Board. If you make a political post, and it is alerted, the post will be removed. Thanks!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.