Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Trader2000 wrote:
<<My point is that with a 128MB storage disk that's $2-3, you are likely to see it replace CD/DVD/Tape based media for a segment of the market. A lot of people use the Zip for purely archival purposes (some that require fast access time for playback), such as zips, MPEG-2s or MP3s. It's small enough for laptops (you can't say that for the bulky Zip Plus travel kit). Therefore, it does pose a threat to Iomega's grip of the market. Furthermore, in terms of optical technology, optical rewritable disk innovation is not far behind at all; the data only have to be read by organic light emitted diodes.>>

Well, I see one definite problem with your scenario, and another possible problem with your scenario.

The possible problem is: what is the write method? Is it convenient? If it's ROM, it's almost certain to be inconvenient (that's based on the the types of ROM out there today - CD-R, PROMs, EPROMs, etc - I have yet to see a convenient way to write to ROM).

The definite problem is: when I use Zips for small-scale archival purposes (backup up zips with a little 'z', saved game files, random documents, and the like), I want to be able to change the contents of the disks. This way, if there's stuff I don't need anymore I can dump it, I can add more stuff to the disks if I need it, and in sum I can keep my archives nice and organized. I can't do this with any kind of ROM technology - that's the entire point of ROM - you can't change it.

As for it being small enough for laptops... sure, it's small. So? You still can't write to it - what's the point?

I agree that optical rewritable disk tech is not far behind at all - it's called DVD-RAM =p. In this case, cost will be a major barrier. As to the organic light emitted diode reading - I have no idea, but I'm going to guess that this is going to be expensive as hell too, if and whenever it comes out.

<<However, the new 200MB+/1.44Mb compatible drives may pose some immediate threats later this year. Btw, does anyone know when the Quest drive from Syquest is actually coming out?>>

1) 200MB+/1.44MB compatible drives could definitely post a threat... if they can manage to supplant Zip and Jaz in the workplace. I've already made my opinion on this probability happening clear.

2) What's the Quest drive?

3) What difference will it make if Syquest manages to bankrupt itself, the way its trying very hard to do now?

Winston
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.