Skip to main content
Update
The boards are getting a new home!

We're pleased to announce an update is coming to the community boards.

Saturday, September 24th: We are migrating the boards to a new platform. The site is currently in read-only mode and we will bring it back online as soon as the migration is complete.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
This is just a note.

I opened an account with Quicken (Quickbroker) last week. I filled in a form and posted it overnight to their GPO Box to arrive Tuesday the 17th Oct. I then recieved notification by email that I could start accessing the account on Thursday the 19th. However, I still had to wait for a pin which I was told would arrive in the post in a couple of days (granted I live in Perth), and still have not recieved it as of the 23rd Oct.

On Friday the 20th Oct, I started to fill out a form to allow trading in US markets. I got stumped with one question on the W-8 form and called Quicken's help phone number.

After the person on the other end of the line had a look at the form, and the instructions (which I had also checked) I was told to hold while they spoke with their supervisor. After several minutes I was then told that they would have to check with their US contacts on the matter.

As of Monday the 23rd I am still waiting.

I guess a couple of points. Don't start an online trading account for US markets if you want a stock quickly. I wanted to buy NOK before they announced results. Due to them announcing a week early I missed out on a days gain of approx 28%. I'd have been in time if they announce on the 26th, since I would have bought with a standard broker if I had to. But we are not dealing with a predictable market, nor predictable people :). Secondly, Australia is still in its VERY early days in dealing with trading in US markets online. I am guessing that I am one of the first customers to try with Quicken, and they haven't ironed out all their procedures.

I'd like to point out that I am not saying that Quicken or Aussie online accounts are bad, I did find the person on the help desk very polite and as helpful as they could be. It just seems we have a way to go before we get a global market.

Has anyone used Commsec? I've given up and now use a standard broker.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.