Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I talked to a broker about transferring my traditional IRA variable annuity to an IRA account at his office. I haven't done any ivesting through a brokerage firm, so I'm not sure about what was said. I was told that a variable annuity could NOT be transferred. He said I would have to contact the company, tell them I wanted to close the account and then they would send a check DIRECTLY to me. After I received the check, then I would send a check for the amount of the IRA funds to the brokerage firm to be deposited in that IRA account,which I haven't opened yet. My plan is to use these funds to invest in the F4. I have a couple of questions:

First of all, I'm not close to 59 1/2 and I will be charged a 1% surrender fee to get out of the annuity. Isn't there a huge withdrawal penalty if I take possession of IRA funds?

If the answer is yes to the previous question, then how do I get out of the annuity and into a IRA account at a brokerage without any penalties?

I thought all I had to do was open the account, fill out transfer papers, send that to the brokerage and then they would take care of notifying the insurance co. where the annuity is held. I'm very confused about how to do this.

I would appreciate all the Foolish help I can get!

Thanks in advance.

Jean
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.