Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
My wife and I each have a traditional IRA which we haven't contributed anything to in 15 or 20 years.... we do have significant savings in tax deferred accounts through our employers, but no recent traditional IRA contributions....we quit contributing at the time because due to my income, I wasn't recienveing

I'm 56 and find myself with money I would like to invest tax deferred if possible.... as previously stated, I have a couple of traditional IRAs, but would like to contribute some amount to a 'new' traditional IRA.

Is it possible to set up another 'traditional' IRA for 2013 (have already finished my return) or should I wait or put the money in as a 2014 contribution?

And... how much can I contribute to this new Traditional IRA?

I want to keep things as simple as possible. I'm mainly interested in opening this new IRA to be able to put money somewhere that I can invest/trade in a tax deferred status....I'm not overly interested if it reduces my current tax situation (from what I remember, it didn't help me much 20 years ago, so I don't think it would help me now)

Any advice including telling me I don't have a clue what I'm doing will be most appreciated...

Many thanks...

Mick
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.