Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
In 2000 I "rolled-over" a 401(k) into a "self-directed" IRA. In the same year I did a partial conversion of the IRA into a ROTH.

Well, as we all know , the market got ugly !

My ROTH was worth MUCH less than at the time of the conversion so I "recharacterized" the ROTH back into the Traditonal IRA in November 2000.

Whew !

I've received two 1099-R forms , one showing the conversion( and a hefty taxable amount ) and the second showing the "recharacterization" without a taxable amount.

My question is : How do I file BOTH of these forms for tax purposes ? I've tried filing the 1099-R with the taxable amount and it got depressing! I can't find a method to file while indicating to the IRS that the transaction is not valid.

ANY help would be appreciated - thanks !

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.