No. of Recommendations: 49
In response to Denny's last subject, it's worth looking at how we got to this point.

This used to be a pretty amazing NPI stock board. There was amazing stock analysis, trend analysis, technology analysis. Really deep analysis and insight. It deteriorated into an orgy of political diatribes, where people just could not resist posting whatever they wanted to support their points of view. For years, people put up with it. But over time, good posters (think of the Mike Buckleys of this world, among others) had enough and left.

They left because the noise became offensive. But they also left because the lack of objectivity in those non-stock posts really made people question whether these people could make smart and objective stock-related posts as well. It would be hard to think someone could just switch on and switch off the ranting idiotic part of their brains at will.

In any event, their refrain was always "you're free to ignore the subjects you don't like" and "why don't you talk about stocks more." Well, look what happened.

After months of posting ludicrous Romney and Obama posts, literally the day after their Romney-centric world collapsed under the weight of reality, they were gone. Likely embarrassed by the colossal amount of time and energy they wasted inventing and viciously defending a fictional universe that, frankly, wasn't the way everyone else saw the world.

And in their wake, the board died. Not because no-one had stuff to stay about stocks. But because the spirit of the board was ruined by people's obsessive-compulsive inability to control themselves - act like reasonable responsible adults and deteriorate into the offensive ranting of children having perpetual temper tantrums.

They killed all the positive aspects of the board, and then left behind a wasteland when the political world they tried to create turned out to be a fiction.

I tried to get the board to talk about 3D printing years ago (search for my first posts on TDSC (now DDD) and SSYS). I made an eleven bagger off of DDD. It would have been nice if others could have found the signal through the noise, or had still been around to contribute their own similar ideas. But this board has sadly demonstrated how a few can literally destroy the common experience - and all for nothing.

Ollie
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 11
Ollie:

What a bunch of crock!

Your political post and straw man argument merely attempts to recreate history.

The facts are that the "Mike Buckley's" of the NPI were long gone well BEFORE any political diatribe was perpetuated by tamhas......well before!

YOu seem to forget about the RTW newsletter and the many very knowledgeable posters that got creamed in the Y2K crash, and the several other market dumps since. They have been long gone for a long time......predating the Obama fiasco by many years.

But I do agree with you that BT (before tamahas), this was a more civil board and so it has gone the way that you want it.

Congrats on your 3D printing investments but you are mistaken that there was a void of posts on this topic from the likes of Denny, Tinker and myself.

What did tamhas say about 3D printing??? Be happy you didn't listen to him on that investment matter......just his politics!!

Like I said.........your post is a bunch of crock......but it is your right to post it.
No. of Recommendations: 7
Ollie describes the nails in the coffin perfectly.
Vitriolic political rants killed this board... a few ranted, each side supported by 'lurkers'... and no one has changed opinions.

Now, we're just waiting to see if the patient can be resurrected?
ralph
No. of Recommendations: 2
You know, Duma, you aren't nearly so rabid on the other boards where I see you post ... srongly opinionated, with or without basis, to be sure, but not mouth foaming as you are here. It certainly 'tis not I that brought strongly opinionated political posts to this board ... speaking of revisionist history. If I added anything new, it was an unwillingness to let right wing (aka "moderate") rants go unchallenged.
No. of Recommendations: 4
The facts are

Dearest duma,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpBnB4F574M

B
No. of Recommendations: 17
Although I post on many boards, and in some in pretty fair quantity, this wasn't one of them. Still, I found it an interesting board to read from time to time...and that's how it usually starts, isn't it? You get hooked on a topic. Or a post. Or a company. Or a product and you get drawn in and before you know it, you are a contributor - some better, some worse.

I never got to that stage because of the constantly erupting political fights; it was just too aggravating to try to follow the board without being sucked in, and lord knows there are enough other places to do that. Worse, the fights were so totally irrelevant to the mission of the board, and may I say it? ***Entirely lame.*** That I would close the browser and move on. It must have happened to me two dozen times, and I suspect I am not alone.

Yes, the somehow obsessive need for some posters to inject irrelevant political threads ruined the place, no worse than if every time you went into a good restaurant there was some loudmouth (usually the same loudmouth) yammering about how awful everything is and how it's all everybody else's fault and if they'd only listen to him....

A good proprietor of a restaurant, seeing the damage being done, would tell the person to leave and not return, but there is no proprietor here (unlike, say, METAR which has Wendy), and so yes, it's a perfect example of the tragedy of the commons. No one in control. Every man for himself. And soon enough an empty smoking hole where intelligent life used to exist.
No. of Recommendations: 12
Good Grief Goofy! I actually agree with you on this! Unlike you, I was a frequent visitor/poster at the NPI because it was the forum that originally brought me to the Fool. I had head about TMF but the name sounded so lame I never even bothered. But one day, while I was still active at the Gilder GTR forum but disgruntled (it too was suffering from the Tragedy of the Commons), someone pointed out that Matt Tomkins (Y2Krash http://my.fool.com/profile/Y2Krash/activity.aspx) had a great technology board here. And great it was. Matt and company left when their investment newsletter flopped but the high quality discussions continued. Later there was a hiatus and the board turned to biotech, an area of little interest for me but you could get other topics going.

The occasional political post, left or right, does not bother me. But political nitpicking became obsessive to the point it killed the board. The lack of restraint of some posters had the most unfortunate effect of killing off the best technology board at TMF. NO, I'm not going to name names, it's NOT helpful!

But we can get it back if the Tom and Jerry antics and the lack of courtesy disappear. It's up to the posters themselves, not to some thought policeman trying to run this most unregulated board.

Denny Schlesinger
And the pot calls the kettle black.

Alan
No. of Recommendations: 0
But this board has sadly demonstrated how a few can literally destroy the common experience - and all for nothing.

Ollie,

a very honest assessment of what went wrong, but it was a lot of people not just a few.

The boards that survive intact outlaw politics. And they instill respect for others. Or they are cheerleading boards set on one topic or stock issue.

This board is still here, but it must unwind and let time pass, then it might start to respect that others have opinions that are different on politics, but no one's opinion belongs on this board in regards to politics.

I dont have high hopes y'all will get to that point.

Dave
Duma,

you have no respect for others. You really are unnecessary here.

Dave
It's up to the posters themselves, not to some thought policeman trying to run this most unregulated board.

And so it goes. Your libertarian instincts prevail, even in the overwhelming evidence of the destruction it caused right here on this board.

"Unregulated" nearly always leads to anarchy, and with the well documented results commonly codified as the Tragedy of the Commons. (There are other outcomes, of course: bullying, dictatorship, etc.)

There's perhaps a reason why METAR became a cesspool (hint: politics), and died and was then resurrected, thanks to Wendy and - need I point it out? - Regulation. Politics is banned. More to the point, she remains the cop on the beat - and even then people come in and try to push their partisan points of view.

"It's up to the posters themselves." You are too funny.

No. of Recommendations: 3
<< Your libertarian instincts prevail.....she remains the cop on the beat.....Regulation. >>

Anyone remember a guy by the name of Joseph Stalin?

If you want cops and regulation, go to another board. What's so hard about that?

Me.....I like this unregulated mess. It better suits my personality.

Alan
No. of Recommendations: 9
Your libertarian instincts prevail...

Darn right! But I'm sure you prefer North Korea to some liberal (in the true original sense) free place. LOL You stated all the reasons I don't visit METAR.

I've got family in the US and they have asked me why I stay in Venezuela. I really like many things about the US except for the excessive regulation. In the Land of the Free you are now free to do what the authorities allow you to do. Sad.

About the NPI, if it wasn't able to hold itself together I guess there was not enough in it to make it worth while keeping. The whining lurkers sure contributed nothing. Evolution is about creation and destruction. Our planet is made up from the corpse of earlier stars. The dinosaurs are gone but life goes on.

The question for humans is whether it is better to live free and dangerously or shackled but safe. America seem to prefer The Patriot Act which hurts citizens much more than it does terrorists. The War on Drugs, the War on Money Laundering, the War on just about anything. But you are safe. Ha! And you sure learned nothing from Prohibition (the War on Liquor).

About anarchy, yes, I like it just fine. One of the reasons I liked sailing is that there are no cops on the beat, no referee, no umpire on the sailing course. Instead it very much depends on the honor system. Sure it's breached on occasion but better than than shackled.

My earlier comment on "the new administration" was a reference to the destructiveness of "regulation" and after the destruction, the destructors have done nothing for the board they tried to save.

Your libertarian instincts prevail...

You can bet on it!

Denny Schlesinger
Me.....I like this unregulated mess. It better suits my personality.

Alan

You are THE man!

Denny Schlesinger
Goofy, the difference between METAR and NPI is that here we let you spout your nons... your stuff. Is that what killed the board? Just askin....
No. of Recommendations: 5
My earlier comment on "the new administration" was a reference to the destructiveness of "regulation" and after the destruction, the destructors have done nothing for the board they tried to save.

The most vocal liberal critics who raided this board were NOT interested in saving it!! They were interested in shutting down anti-Obama liberal discussion......that is all.

Because those same people rarely if ever brought up any volume of NPI posts besides empty one or two liners but much like Goofy...could write an encyclopedia on political topics.

It is outright deception that the "Mike Buckely's" left because of politics.......they were ALREADY long gone.

This board never understood that the people who contributed the most to this board (posting investment topics and responding in thoughtful ways) are passionate people who carry (and raise) conversations.

They were not fat cats sitting around mumbling liberal extremism........they were the core posters who did the heavy lifting of research and thoughtful prose.

If you want to be honest about what killed this board......look at liberal extremist raids. They were attracted here like rats and they are free to carry this board now that they own it.
Me.....I like this unregulated mess.

Even though the meaningful content is now dramatically reduced?

The only lively thread we have had in a while is this one, which is hardly enlightening us on NPI.
and thoughtful prose.

Yeah like, Obama, Pelosi and Reid, Obama, Pelosi and Reid, Obama, Pelosi and Reid, Obama, Pelosi and Reid, Obama, Pelosi and Reid, Obama, Pelosi and Reid, Obama, Pelosi and Reid, Obama, Pelosi and Reid, Obama, Pelosi and Reid, Obama, Pelosi and Reid, Obama, Pelosi and Reid,Obama, Pelosi and Reid, Obama, Pelosi and Reid, Obama, Pelosi and Reid, Obama, Pelosi and Reid, Obama, Pelosi and Reid, Obama, Pelosi and Reid, Obama, Pelosi and Reid, Obama, Pelosi and Reid,...

The Good old Days, :<)

B
<< Even though the meaningful content is now dramatically reduced? >>

Yes. I have no doubt that "meaningful content" will return to those places that are unfettered.

I'm can be very patient. And it's not like there aren't other sites I can peruse in the meantime.

Alan
This isn't an abstract debate about government regulation and censorship. This is about whether people can control THEMSELVES for the good of all.

Ollie
This is about whether people can control THEMSELVES for the good of all.

Ollie

I suppose you are including the people who have the uncontrollable urge to control others not to post what the "controller" does not want posted, i.e. the thought policemen. :)

Sure excess of anything is bad but so is destroying a board to protect a lousy president from criticism.
No. of Recommendations: 6
Darn right! But I'm sure you prefer North Korea to some liberal (in the true original sense) free place.

Exhibit A on why this place is a cesspool. If there's a more asinine way you could have said this, I'm not sure I could think of it.

I really like many things about the US except for the excessive regulation. In the Land of the Free you are now free to do what the authorities allow you to do.

Curious. I can start any business I like, sell to any customers I like, charge any price I like, and locate anywhere I like, so long as I don't trample on the rights of others. Excessive regulation? How's that "freeeedom" thing working out for Somalia? Afghanistan? Pakistan?

Ever notice that the most vibrant economies of the world are those with structure and organization? Those, of course, take "regulation."

About anarchy, yes, I like it just fine

Well, then, your philosophy fits in nicely with this board. Which, I point out, is dead. Congratulations on your success.

Exhibit A on why this place is a cesspool.

Because you are here?

End of conversation.
And it's not like there aren't other sites I can peruse in the meantime.

And what other sites address NPI?
What you refer to thought police was closer to conscience. The majority were clear they didn't want all that crap, but some were too selfish to abide by that preference.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Some pretty fine postmortems and all unfortunately wrong.

5 years of Obama bashing didn't kill the board.

5 years of "censorship" didn't kill the board.

Duma proposed a bet, Tinker ended up taking it (Duma was too chicken)

Obama won,Tinker lost.

Board remains,

KISS

B
<< .....this board. Which, I point out, is dead. >>

Hardly!! We lured you back here, now didn't we?

Alan (sorry, just could not resist....)
Alan (sorry, just could not resist....)

Alan have the dark chocolate one in the corner of the box.

Dave
Necromancer or grave robber? LOL

Obama won,Tinker lost.

Ollie:

Your "self control" rhetoric is clearly staring you right back in the face along with tamhas, b, rubberthinking, goofey.

The liberals have the floor on the NPI.....now go ahead and wow us all with your prolific NPI posts!

You took down the NPI so surely you plan on contributing something besides this thread????

Or shall you go back to Tinker and beg him to come back???
Can we stop bickering and fingerpointing like school children. Silence was better than this.

We all lose by there not being good discussion here and we all lost, including a lot of readership, by the bickering that went on here before the election. The worst part wasn't that it was political; it was that a great deal of it was unthinking cant which bore no relationship to the incisive thinking which characterized many of the discussions which actually related to investments.
No. of Recommendations: 6
The worst part wasn't that it was political; it was that a great deal of it was unthinking cant which bore no relationship to the incisive thinking which characterized many of the discussions which actually related to investments.

If you knew what you were doing then why did you do it??

Tamhas......you have the floor to post all the NPI you want........go ahead.

Obama won,Tinker lost.

Ollie:

Your "self control" rhetoric is clearly staring you right back in the face along with tamhas, b, rubberthinking, goofey.

Duma,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMzd40i8TfA

B
Duma, one would think that you might have learned how well "I'm rubber; you're glue" worked for Romney.

Not to mention that, all along, the threads I have started, whether monumental or not, have, at least been on NPI topic, whereas a very large percentage of yours were not, so your remarks are transparently hollow accusation of the "enemy" as having one's own faults.

Duma, you used to be a polite, reasonable, human being ten years ago. You yourself preached the same "self control" rhetoric to other posters.
http://boards.fool.com/mish-these-last-few-posts-have-been-a...

You have now sadly become the very thing that you accuse others of becoming. You paint yourself as a moderate and everyone who disagrees as an extremist, and just say it over and over again, as if it makes it true.

When I read these two posts by Barry Ritholtz, it was as if he was directing his entire argument at you.
He was considering shutting down his comments section because of "The intellectually disingenuous rhetorical sleight of hand that has become a substitute for legitimate debate... I simply do not have the time nor the interest in correcting every half-truth and lie."
http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2013/02/getting-rid-of-comments...
http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2012/11/the-15-rules-of-web-dis...

Neither do I. Why do I need to bother responding to "You took down the NPI so surely you plan on contributing something besides this thread????" Are your posts just someone dictating the things that you shout at yourself in the mirror? Enjoy your cognitive dissonance, my friend. It's all you've got left.

In any event, I've said my piece. I stand by my original post. Good luck investing.

Ollie
Duma,

The sad part is you believe things off of Fox news that have and would continue to hurt our nation.

The country no longer wants to go for the joy ride you are on.

Dave