Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Kstankey, and welcome. You asked:

<<I have purchased stock thru our companies stock
purchase plan and wonder if I can transfer the
stock (when possible) from the company borker to
my roth IRA borker without having to sell the
stock, pay taxes etc...>>

No, you sure can't. If these shares are in a qualified retirement plan, then almost certainly you cannot get them until you leave that company. On retirement or separation, though, you could transfer them to a traditional IRA. (Whether you should or not is another story entirely.) Once in the traditional IRA, they could then be transferred to the Roth IRA.

OTOH, if these shares are not in a qualified retirement plan, then even at separation there would be no way you could get them into a Roth IRA. The only way any IRA may receive stock is when those shares are part of a qualified rollover from a qualified retirement plan or traditional IRA.

Regards..Pixy
TMFPixy wrote:

The only way any IRA may receive stock is when those shares are part of a qualified rollover from a qualified retirement plan or traditional IRA.

A Fool on the NOK board the other day wrote that she'd just moved all her NOK stock into her IRA because she didn't want to be receiving dividends in her taxable account. Said she'd 'had to swap around some things to do it'.

For the record, you're saying "ain't no way"? Same thought struck me when I first read her post. Think I'll forward this to her attention, unless someone else can further illuminate...?

kse4
Kse4 asks:

<<For the record, you're saying "ain't no way"? Same thought struck me when I first read her post. Think I'll forward this to her attention, unless someone else can further illuminate...?>>

For the record, I'm saying it can't be done under existing law. If the shares were in an ordinary taxable account, then it is impossible to move them to an IRA. They would have to be sold first. Even then, only up to $2K of those proceeds could be moved to the IRA and used for a repurchase.

Individual securities may be transferred to an IRA only when they are already in another IRA or are in an employer's qualified retirement plan.

Regards..Pixy
The stock is not part of a qualified retirement plan
and I thought that even though you have a 401k, under
certain conditions, you could also contribute to
a Roth IRA to the max of 2k per year.

Is this correct? Under these conditions could I just
transfer the shares?
Kstankey asks:

<<The stock is not part of a qualified retirement plan
and I thought that even though you have a 401k, under
certain conditions, you could also contribute to
a Roth IRA to the max of 2k per year.

Is this correct? Under these conditions could I just
transfer the shares? >>

Yes, you may contribute to a Roth IRA in the same year as you participate in a 401k plan; however, no part of that annual contribution may be stock shares you happen to own. Annual IRA contributions may be made in cash only. Therefore, if you want to use your company shares for that purpose, you will first have to sell enough shares to cover your IRA contribution. Then you may deposit the cash you raise from that sale.

Regards..Pixy