Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Fools: I have a friend who has just retired from his job due to cancer. He is on Total Disability and is going to receive payments from his former employers disability plan this month and Social Security Disability payments starting next month.

Under his disability plan any income he receives from any source: other income, social security, retirement plans reduces his benefit dollar for dollar. In other words every dollar he takes from his pension plan reduces the amount he receives from his disability insurance. His wife's income does not affect his disability plan.

Is there any way he can rollover or otherwise convert some of his pension plan into his wife's name so that at some appropriate moment she can withdraw the money and have it be attributed to her and not him?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.