Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
My husband took a early retirement a year ago. He took his regular pension and we rolled over his 401K to TIAA-CREF into retirement annuities since we didn't want to access them for about 5 more years. He is 57. Our plans were for me to continue working full-time plus moonlight another $10,000 a year since I love what I'm doing and he hated what he was doing. He is the house husband and a pretty darn good cook!!
A problem has come up with my health and I can handle the full=time job, but the moonlighting job has to go!!
Hospitals are killing nurses!! So we need to access his rollover IRA for more income.
According to my reading, we will have to do SEPP, which TIAA-Cref does not do. It is my understanding that we will have to do another rollover to another company that will do SEPP. How do I find these companies?? I have also discovered I am more risk aversive that I thought and I don't want to take the time and energy to actively manage this account. Any advice??
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<we rolled over his 401K to TIAA-CREF into retirement annuities ...According to my reading, we will have to do SEPP, which TIAA-Cref does not do. It is my understanding that we will have to do another rollover to another company that will do SEPP. How do I find these companies?? >>

You can set up SEP separate from TIAA. However, rollover from TIAA is not easy. If you recently rolled over into TIAA annuity, you can probably count on 7-7.5% dividend which you should be able to take as IPRO (take div but leave principle).
If you want to rollover out of TIAA, they make you do it over 10 yrs. Worse yet, they don't let you take out interest on the amount that you designate for the 10 yr rollover.

Last point, watch out for telephone counselling from TIAA. Last time I tried to get rollover out the counsellor said, "What did we do to you that makes you hate us." And when the counsellor says, "We're a non-profit organization," don't take that for truth-tellers.

Print the post Back To Top