Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have an IRA at a Wise institution and I want to transfer it so I can start an IRA with my online broker and Foolishly manage it myself (my IRA was lucky to break 10% return in its best year). I've been reading up on IRA's -- all about conversions, starting IRA's, etc. -- but I haven't seen anything that gives me a concrete answer concerning my specific situation. Does anyone have any information about fees, penalties, etc. that I may incur by doing this? Or will it be "free" -- just like transferring stock from an old non-IRA account in order to start a new non-IRA account? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The Oarsman
Print the post Back To Top
Greetings, Oarsman, and welcome. You asked:

<<I've been reading up on IRA's -- all about conversions, starting IRA's, etc. -- but I haven't seen anything that gives me a concrete answer concerning my specific situation. Does anyone have any information about fees, penalties, etc. that I may incur by doing this? Or will it be "free" -- just like transferring stock from an old non-IRA account in order to start a new non-IRA account? >>

Any fees are contingent on your present IRA custodian and the investment itself. Many losing custodians will charge a liquidation/transfer fees and some investments like mutual funds have a back-load (commission) that applies when you sell that investment. So, check with your current custodian to see what fees may apply in your case.

Regards..Pixy
Thanks... I'm off to call my present custodian now!
To the Oarsman,

Just transferred my IRA from a Securities Holdings company (mutual funds & stocks) to CitiBank. No change investments but just like the broker better, Was charged a IRA termination charge $25 and a Transfer charge $25. This may or not be typical.