Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
A vaad habayit sent a note saying the HMKLT needs to be repaired.

Google translate translates that word as "receiver," but that doesn't make sense in this context.

Can anyone help me out here?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
A vaad habayit sent a note saying the HMKLT needs to be repaired.

Bomb shelter.

Miklat.
Thanks, Elann.
Just out of curiousity, the vaad habayit is in Israel?
Yes, in Israel.

I didn’t realize is that there are many names for such shelters. I thought they were all called mamas.

This Wikipedia article explains the various names and their slightly different meanings: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkhav_Mugan

Follow-up question: what is the difference between a “Miklat BeBayit Meshutaf” and a “Merkhav Mugan Dirati” ?
Are you living in Israel now?

You have the same word in the bible for the cities of refuge btw; arei miklat.

In the miklat bebabyit meshutaf, it means one common shelter for all residents of a (probably small) building. in the merkhav mugan dirati, there's a shelter for each apartment.
Follow-up question: what is the difference between a “Miklat BeBayit Meshutaf” and a “Merkhav Mugan Dirati” ?

The wikipedia page didn't say?

Miklat Bebayit Meshutaf is a common bomb shelter in an apartment building. Typically it's built as an underground basement, to be used by all the residents.

Merkhav Mugan Dirati (mamad) is an individual apartment's secure room, built of reinforced concrete, with blast resistant door and window. Each apartment has its own room. All modern buildings have such rooms. Older buildings, beyond thirty years or so (before the first Gulf war) might not.

Elan
The wikipedia page didn't say?

It provided definitions, but it was confusing. Here's what it said:

"Miklat BeBayit Meshutaf (???? ???? ?????) - lit. shelter in a Condominium, A facility built into a building which has been declared as a Condominium (commonly in Low-rise building) it includes all the facilities that a public shelter has, but is maintained by the building residents."

and

"Merkhav Mugan Dirati (???? ???? ????? or ??"?) - installed in residential apartments."

I never heard anyone use the term "condominium" in reference to Israeli real estate. To me, a condo is a single building with individual privately-owned units. And I thought the Israeli equivalent was "apartment."

An Israeli talking about his home might say "I own this apartment." In the US, apartment generally means a building owned by a single person or business, and where all the units are rented.
Steven, are you in israel now, or planning to be?
Not in Israel now. Hoping to live there eventually. (But it probably won't happen for many years.)
Not in Israel now. Hoping to live there eventually. (But it probably won't happen for many years.)

I thought you had moved there. Or did you move back?