Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 31

Travel like see the seven wonders of the world, or all of Rembrandt’s paintings, or visit all the baseball stadiums or zoos in the US–can last longer.

People can get bored with their retirement routine. Take vacations. Travel. Make it fun.

Jesus, man! Do you not get that not everyone wants your vision of retirement and that’s ok?

There’s some traveling I want to do, but I don’t actually find most travel”fun.” It’s often a hassle.

I’m planning to do some writing. A little travel. A little volunteering. Maybe take up golf again. I’m definitely chucking my day planner and alarm clock, though and spending time walking the dogs and admiring my garden and taking the occasional nap.

This is a smart group of thoughtful people who’ve been planning our retirements for years. This seems like the wrong group to tell “make your retirement count.”

By the way, I was talking to my mom yesterday. She’s 84 and stuck in the nursing home with no visitors again—thanks Covid. She said what she misses the most being in the nursing home and not being able to get out is not travel or even eating out. She said she’d just like to be able to make herself some coffee the way she likes it and a sandwich and eat it on her back porch. I think maybe we don’t always value those little routine pleasures enough.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.