Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I've travelled some 48.6 billion miles at an average speed of 66,772 MPH and have yet been stopped for speeding! It took me 30,316 days, night and day, and I'm just 1,635 miles from where I started.

The Captain
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I suspect you are a lot farther from your starting point than 1,635.

The distances referenced are relative only to the sun.

The sun is also moving through space.

Gene
All holdings and some statistics on my Fool profile page
http://my.fool.com/profile/gdett2/info.aspx
No. of Recommendations: 2
The problem is, to track distance traveled through space in three dimensions, you need four points that you can treat as fixed - and there are no fixed points in space.

For travel around, or toward, another object, you can treat that object as fixed, even if you know darn well it isn't. Thus, the earth is orbiting the sun at 18.5 miles a second... the sun (and therefore the earth as well) is orbiting the center of the galaxy at 140 miles a second... the galaxy is nearing the (current) center of the Local Group at about 25 miles a second... the Local Group is approaching the Virgo Cluster at 375 miles a second...
No. of Recommendations: 0
The distances referenced are relative only to the sun.

The big number, yes, 83 times around the Sun.

The little number is earthbound, Berlin -> Porto.

Denny Schlesinger
and there are no fixed points in space.

I don't know about you but I'm always where I am, no matter where I am. I haven't moved an inch from me! ;)

Denny Schlesinger
the sun (and therefore the earth as well) is orbiting the center of the galaxy at 140 miles a second...

I did give one of the Voyager space craft a bit of thought. I don't remember which one, but I do recall that one of them left the [rough] plane of the solar system and is headed significantly north (or south - and don't recall which) from earth's point of view.

And I also recall that the sun (and therefore the solar system) are orbiting the center of the galaxy in the north-south direction. That is, the plane of the ecliptic is roughly perpendicular to that orbit around the galaxy.

So if the Voyager left the solar system to the south and the system is traveling north first, it would effectively be leaving the Voyager behind. With sufficient velocity, that could leave Voyager somewhat closer to where it was when it departed the Earth. However, the 10 or 15 years it took to get to Saturn before heading out of the system would seem to indicate it stuck with the solar system a whole lot longer than 1600-some miles.

--Peter <== who, upon some reflection thinks that the solar system is traveling to the north AND that Voyager left the solar system to the north, so the whole line of thinking is completely wrong, although still an interesting thought experiment.
No. of Recommendations: 3
The big number, yes, 83 times around the Sun.

The little number is earthbound, Berlin -> Porto.

So the lesson is that when you travel in circles, you can go a long way but still get almost nowhere.

--Peter
So the lesson is that when you travel in circles, you can go a long way but still get almost nowhere.

Most of us have had that happen inside our heads at least once...

Brilliant!

Denny Schlesinger

I thought this was just about Venezuelan inflation.
I thought this was just about Venezuelan inflation.

Same order of magnitude!

Denny Schlesinger
<OT:>
Denny, you posted a "how to" for searching the boards for key words in subject lines.

I tho't I saved the post, but must have tossed it.

Can you please re-post the how to search info?

TIA

</end OT>
The search was not for "key words in subject lines." It is to search specific boards. It has three parts:

site:fool.com [the website's URL]
"Humor and Urban Legends" [the name of the board in double quotes]
Monday caption challenge [the search string]

site:fool.com "Humor and Urban Legends" Monday 15th caption challenge

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q...

Save is as a bookmark in your browser!

Denny Schlesinger
There is a way to search a few select TMF boards that's really good:
http://www.datahelper.com/mi/search.phtml